Name that wood!
Hey all,

I was at a farm earlier today and was trying to identify the wood used for the old beams in the barn (now a wine tasting place). I have some guesses, but would love to hear your thoughts. The people that own the place also had thoughts, but they're not woodworkers.

The barn is thought to be somewhere around 250 years old. The newest building on the property was built in 1780. It is located in Montgomery County, MD (about 20 miles northwest of DC). I expect the lumber would be local.

I have a few pictures trying to show long grain, bark, and end grain. While the long grain looked similar on all the beams, there was some variation in the bark.

Thanks,
Tyler

American Chestnut

The bark looks like White Oak though.....color looks like Chestnut, but it might just be the patina or it could be mixed.....

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I'm seeing White oak. Could be wrong though,
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
The bark does not look like white oak to me, but I am not sure what the wood is though.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

End grain looks like white oak not sure about the bark though.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
White oak bark -- one version of many

"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
It's weathered wood

That is until a time you plane off some of the age, and really get a clean shave of the end grain. I'm not real sold all the pics are the same wood. The top pic could easily be Walnut. The end grain shot could be WO.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve N said:

It's weathered wood

That is until a time you plane off some of the age, and really get a clean shave of the end grain. I'm not real sold all the pics are the same wood. The top pic could easily be Walnut. The end grain shot could be WO.

I'm also seeing Walnut in the top picture.
Are the top two pics the same piece?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Notice two things about the end grain shot -- those growth rings are REALLY small and what looks to me like medulary rays are noticeable.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Looks like white oak to me.
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.