Humming jointer/BS while plugged in?
I just got the delta 20" BS up and running yesterday and the delta 8" jointer cleanup and running today, that I bought used last year. I noticed with both machines that while they are plugged in, but not running, they hum. It sounds like the hum of a transformer. I haven't open the boxes up on either one yet, I just figured I'd ask while I was inside listing my old jointer for sale. The machines are both 1ph, 220V and have 1-1/2HP motors. Is this a normal thing and should I be either unplugging the machine when I'm not using it? Both machine do start and run fine.

Thanks, Bob
Well, I just came a cross a popular mechanics article with someone asking the exact question. The answer was that it is normal for delta light-industrial machines. They use a transformer to create 24v to use for the magnetic switch.

Now my question is can I get rid of that and just wire up a newer mag switch? I don't really like the idea of a transformer sitting there powered up all the time and it would be nice not to have to plug and unplug it every time I use it.

Bob
You can, but you won't save anything to speak of. They're only using a tiny bit of energy at idle, like a doorbell transformer. Most of the current is just bouncing back and forth between it and the transformer on the pole, and doesn't register on your meter (assuming it's residential).

If you don't want them, though, put them on S&S here, or BOYD on the OWWM forum, as they don't make them like that any more, and folks will want them.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
is there a way to get a small transformer to stop humming?
Thanks for the info, I'll probably just kill the breaker anyways when I'm out of the shop for now. The breaker box is next to the door and it probably isn't a bad idea killing that breaker, safety wise, since it also powers the TS and I have young kids. I may look into what that assembly goes for and put it towards a new switch, if I go that route.

Bob
EricU said:

Unplug it

Or, you can replace it with a "modern" power supply. Most low power stuff that used to run off of a heavy wire-wound transformer are now powered by electronic power supplies. Just pick one with the appropriate voltage and current capacity and your good to go.
EricU said:

Yes, there is as a matter of fact.

Teach it the words.
bobs64ford352 said:

Thanks for the info, I'll probably just kill the breaker anyways when I'm out of the shop for now.

Unplugging all equipment when not in use is good safety practice. Turning off the breaker will work, but a breaker is not intended for use as a switch. If you don't want to unplug the equipment when you are not using it, a shutoff switch for the shop would be the better alternative.
Herb G said:

[blockquote]EricU said:

Yes, there is as a matter of fact.

Teach it the words.

[/blockquote]

Funny right there.
WoodTinker
geek2me said:

[blockquote]bobs64ford352 said:

Thanks for the info, I'll probably just kill the breaker anyways when I'm out of the shop for now.

Unplugging all equipment when not in use is good safety practice. Turning off the breaker will work, but a breaker is not intended for use as a switch. If you don't want to unplug the equipment when you are not using it, a shutoff switch for the shop would be the better alternative.

[/blockquote]

That is a good point. The plug isn't in a convenient spot, so a disconnect may be the best bet.

Thanks