Just got a Sherline lathe - need to outfit for wood.
Just picked up a older Sherline (sears, really) Lathe for the grand price of $20.

I plan on doing some metal and plastics, but I also want to try my hand at pen turning and such.

I am a complete noob whether wood or metal.

The lathe is missing the tool holder, but that is not used in wood turning, so no loss relative to wood.

It has a tailstock dead center, but no live center. #0 morse (shortened). Apparently hard too find tooling for.

The headstock has a three jaw chuck and is threaded 3/4-16 with a #1 morse taper too.

My thoughts are to practice a bit first but I need a tool rest. I'm thinking a chunk of aluminum with a 5/8 hole drilled down the center and making a rest from welded up 5.8 round bar.

The sherline tool rest is flipin' expensive.

thoughts? Hints? Resources before I kill myself?

Thanks.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
The wife made me go to dinner before I could post the picture...

The thing in front is a vertical post to turn it into a small mill. I have no clue if it works well yet.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
if you're interested in metal turning, go to youtube and search for Clickspring. I could watch his videos all day.

I did see one of the tips recently where someone had a morse taper converter. The outside was the MT 0 to fit his lathe, but the inside was MT 2 to fit common woodturning accessories. I'm not sure if that's something easy to find, but seems ideal for you to use wood stuff on this lathe.
Jim Pilsner said:

if you're interested in metal turning, go to youtube and search for Clickspring. I could watch his videos all day.

I did see one of the tips recently where someone had a morse taper converter. The outside was the MT 0 to fit his lathe, but the inside was MT 2 to fit common woodturning accessories. I'm not sure if that's something easy to find, but seems ideal for you to use wood stuff on this lathe.

I don't see how you get a MT2 inside a MT0 socket unless you have tons of stick-out. The other way seems easy.

I'll look for clickspring on youtube.

Any tips on wood turning?

Get a 4 jaw woodturning chuck.

Twinn
Will post for food.
Mike

Here is the company that sells that lathe and parts which is Hut.

http://www.hutproducts.com/products.asp?dept=136

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Mr_Mike said:

thoughts? Hints? Resources before I kill myself?

Some of the Taig accessories will work and prices are lower
http://www.taigtools.com/
For $20.00, I'd start making myself a bunch of awesome pin jigs for closed end pens, maybe even make a few expanding mandrels for duck/goose calls, and then some nifty mandrels for my kitless pen stuff......

Make extra.....sell the extra and buy yourself a Powermatic 4224 or a Robust American Beauty or maybe something nice for the wife so she will let you post photo's whenever you feel like doing it

Seriously, I'm not sure I'd expend the effort and mod time to get that metal lathe running wood....

Scott (tryin' to be honest) B
I do have unlisted larger stock not listed on the website. We are always making new blanks, you should stop and take a look!
slabsblanksandboards
Might find some folks here that use metal lathes for pen turning. http://www.penturners.org/forum/

metal lathe thread: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f166/

If want to turn wood pens get yourself a mini lathe with at least 1/2 HP. Once get proficient turning pens on a wood lathe might need that metal lathe for advanced pen making.
Bill