Deer Netting for a Garden
I need to surround a garden on the farm with some temporary fencing to keep out deer. I was considering using Electrical EMT conduit and the price for the actual pipe isn't too bad.

The lack of a Tee connector on the long side for the top rail and the cost of the 90 degree corners is a killer.

Any other ideas on how to put up some deer netting. Of course SWMBO would like it to look presentable.
Our community garden used 12' T posts and 8' welded(hog) wire. That surrounds their 18 fruit trees.
http://www.tarps.com/chrome2.htm
Will post for food.
I use a standard cattle electric fence. I run a main wire down the long side of the garden and then wires down the centers of the rows I need to protect and that keeps them out. Some stuff like potatoes they ignore so no need for wires over those rows. The wires are strung from ~2' high posts that also serve as row markers, and as such they don't show up much at all. Certainly not as obtrusive as a 6-8' high fence.

For the record around here if the fence is not at least 7' tall they pop right over it.
Curlycherry said:

I use a standard cattle electric fence. I run a main wire down the long side of the garden and then wires down the centers of the rows I need to protect and that keeps them out. Some stuff like potatoes they ignore so no need for wires over those rows. The wires are strung from ~2' high posts that also serve as row markers, and as such they don't show up much at all. Certainly not as obtrusive as a 6-8' high fence.

For the record around here if the fence is not at least 7' tall they pop right over it.

Do similar here around my fruit trees - Solar battery and two lines on std T posts. Use a gate connector on both ends so its easy to mow. Keeps the big brown rats out. We will have 20+ in the field next door and right by the trees - so its pretty darn effective.
vernonator said:

Do similar here around my fruit trees - Solar battery and two lines on std T posts. Use a gate connector on both ends so its easy to mow. Keeps the big brown rats out. We will have 20+ in the field next door and right by the trees - so its pretty darn effective.

Got any pics of the setup? This is our second full season here. We didn't get schwacked by the deer last year, but that doesn't mean it won't happen this year. I'm also thinking it would be nice to keep the smaller animals out, too. I just need to guard an area that is about 100 feet by 40 feet.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
50lb fishing line. 3 to 4 strands from a foot off the ground to 5'. The deer won't jump it because the can't see it. The redneck version is orange snow fence, deer won't jump it because they cant see what is on the other side.

For ground animals such as rabbits and raccoon, use a 4' high section of fencing that the animals can't fit through and attach it to T posts. Then run 2 strands of electric fence around the bottom 6" and 12" off of the ground attached to the yellow plastic things that hold it about 6" off of the post.

No matter how bad that raccoon wants to climb that fence, it is going to get shocked.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

CLETUS said:

50lb fishing line. 3 to 4 strands from a foot off the ground to 5'. The deer won't jump it because the can't see it. The redneck version is orange snow fence, deer won't jump it because they cant see what is on the other side.

For ground animals such as rabbits and raccoon, use a 4' high section of fencing that the animals can't fit through and attach it to T posts. Then run 2 strands of electric fence around the bottom 6" and 12" off of the ground attached to the yellow plastic things that hold it about 6" off of the post.

No matter how bad that raccoon wants to climb that fence, it is going to get shocked.

Tell that to the small deer here. They will clear a 6' wood privacy fence without even blinking an eye. If we had big deer no telling what they can jump over.

My neighbor had his garden a couple years with no problems and then one dry year they started after his garden at night. He got one of those bird x sound things and it worked. It also works well to keep the annoying neighbors dogs away. Takes a little tuning to get the freq right. Only issue is that if done wrong it's audible to people too and very annoying.

Wonder if the milorganite will do anything to pocket gophers. They destroy our yard so much that I need a mower with suspension.
Is there something special about the processed fecies of milwaukee residents? I have used it years ago and wasn't impressed from a lawn improvement standpoint and it's quite pricey for what it is and the very low nutrition numbers.
Maybe, you've got some special deer with xray vision...

web page
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Tried the fishing line up to 6 ft and deer still jumped in. What worked for me was 2 rows of fencing. The coons just climb over the fence and do a number on my corn so I got a cattle charger to keep them out.