Deer Netting for a Garden
Raccoons will be stopped by an electric fence wire (2000V+) if it is held 5-6" above bare dirt. The come to the dirt and realize something is different and they proceed slowly until they touch the wire and then they get shocked. They stop and do not come back. I used that method for years until I stopped growing and buying sweet corn.
sroxberg said:

I need to surround a garden on the farm with some temporary fencing to keep out deer. I was considering using Electrical EMT conduit and the price for the actual pipe isn't too bad.

The lack of a Tee connector on the long side for the top rail and the cost of the 90 degree corners is a killer.

Any other ideas on how to put up some deer netting. Of course SWMBO would like it to look presentable.

Could you use pic pipe fittings? Drill a hole and putl a sheet metal screw in to hold it? Not sure what size would wirk with metal conduit, but might be worth exploring?

I know people have been successful with a peanut butter fence. That is a single strand of electric fence with aluminum foil squares that you coat with PB. The smell the PB before jumping the fence, lick it and run away.
WxMan said:

[blockquote]vernonator said:

Do similar here around my fruit trees - Solar battery and two lines on std T posts. Use a gate connector on both ends so its easy to mow. Keeps the big brown rats out. We will have 20+ in the field next door and right by the trees - so its pretty darn effective.

Got any pics of the setup? This is our second full season here. We didn't get schwacked by the deer last year, but that doesn't mean it won't happen this year. I'm also thinking it would be nice to keep the smaller animals out, too. I just need to guard an area that is about 100 feet by 40 feet.

[/blockquote]

Its really easy - just green T posts with two lines at about 18" and near the top. I use the yellow plastic offsets on the posts and for the gate its just a wire on an orange handle thats made to use as a gate. Got the set up at Tractor Supply - most expensive part is the battery and that was not $100 (if I remember). Will try and remember to snap a pic tonight and post.
A farmer here has an 8' tall fence made out of treated round posts and high tension fence wire. The strands are close enough together that the deer can't get through and it's tall enough that they can't jump over it.
We have dogs for keeping the deer and coons at bay.
We have a fence, but it's to keep the chickens out.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

crokett™ said:

A farmer here has an 8' tall fence made out of treated round posts and high tension fence wire. The strands are close enough together that the deer can't get through and it's tall enough that they can't jump over it.

Might argue on the 8' being too tall to jump. It just depends on how motiviated the deer is. I have personally seen a buck (okay he WAS being shot at) jump TWO roundbails that were sitting side-by-side, those are over 10' tall/wide. He cleared them easily.....
vernonator said:

[blockquote]crokett™ said:

Might argue on the 8' being too tall to jump. It just depends on how motiviated the deer is. I have personally seen a buck (okay he WAS being shot at) jump TWO roundbails that were sitting side-by-side, those are over 10' tall/wide. He cleared them easily.....

[/blockquote]

They are only 5' in diameter, 4 or 5' wide. Good story though...
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

CLETUS said:

[blockquote]vernonator said:

[blockquote]crokett™ said:

[/blockquote]

They are only 5' in diameter, 4 or 5' wide. Good story though...

[/blockquote]

Maybe those were Texas bails
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Curlycherry said:

Raccoons will be stopped by an electric fence wire (2000V+) if it is held 5-6" above bare dirt. The come to the dirt and realize something is different and they proceed slowly until they touch the wire and then they get shocked. They stop and do not come back. I used that method for years until I stopped growing and buying sweet corn.

Works on turkeys too.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.