New handle for my back saw
I posted a while back trying to figure out what handle template to use for my old Master Mechanic back saw...here's the (quite painful) original...

I got a template from Dominic's website. Here's the template glued onto the blank, with the radius holes bored...

And here it is finishing up sawing the profile....

I band sawed the outer shape, but used my bow saw to connect the inside holes. No, I'm not using pocket screws...Since I was working out in the garage, I used my Kreg jig vise to hold it for sawing.

Here's where I ended up tonight...got the handle shaped and the plate installed temporarily...

Gave it a test drive...it's a vast improvement over the original!

Next is sanding it smooth and applying some finish.

Thanks for looking!

David
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp

I wonder if it would be a good idea to cut about an inch off the length of the blade so that you can move the spine into the handle. I bet that would give the saw a lot more rigidity and less flex near the handle.
Good idea, Tim.... Or.... move the back toward the handle and saw off the toe end of the blade so that hangy hole is gone.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
It looks great!

When I've made my own totes, I often as not messed things up with the spine-mortise being slightly off-center from the blade slot. So I wouldn't bother changing the spine. That grade of saw probably doesn't have a very fragile plate-thickness anyway. It's all good!
Chris
Be carefull, it is highly addictive.

Great job on the handle.

Still remember Isaacs first one...

Cheers Pedder
Dom has some really nice templates! And, Pedder's right. I have enough wood for about 50 handles. It's amazing what a waste bin can produce.

You have a nice bow saw.
Thanks guys!

I did notice the fact that the back didn't extend into the tote...I've made a couple other, smaller, back saw totes, and I realized this one was suddenly easier at that point. honestly, probably the easiest for me would be to make another tote, reshaping it to extend forward a bit more over the spine, but Like Chris said, it's a pretty stiff plate to start with. Maybe when I get a few other projects knocked out...

Bruce, thanks for the comment in the bow saw...it's the Gramercy blade with the rest shop made. 1/4" O-1 steel rod sawed out to fit the blade ends and epoxied into the handles.

Some days I do better making tools than completing real projects!

Unfortunately my wife likes to see the real projects completed.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Much improved!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Nice jobon the handle it looks great. I have a couple "cheapies" as well and plane on making new handles for them.

Steve

Steve
Nice work on the handle.

I have often why I have never seen a saw handle where the grip part is eliptical in section rather than flat section rouded over at the top and bottom. Anyone who hs held a Holtey 98 series plane handle will know just how much difference this makes to comfort and I can see no reason why it would not also be superior on a saw. It woud be quite a lot more trouble to make because the eliptical shape would need a greater thickness of wood than the rest of the handle but, given that there are a few people out there trying to make the "ultimate handsaw" it is surprising that no one seems to have tried it. Perhaps they have and I have missed it, does anyone know the answer or better still has actually tried a saw with the handle made this way?

Jim