Disk Sander
I've been wanting to turn my lathe into a disk sander for a while.

So I bought a 10" disk that is designed to be used on a table saw to turn it into a disk sander.

My question now is how can I mount it to a 1" x 8 tpi faceplate?

I want it to be very close to perfectly centered.

Any ideas?

If I could figure out a way to get it centered I'd probably epoxy it in place. Maybe even drill and tap a few machine screws while leaving the face of the disk flush.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.
Peter

My "day job"
Find the center of your disk. Measure the diameter of the outer rim of your faceplate. Divide by 2 to get the radius. Set your compass to just a hair over the radius and draw a circle on your disk. Now, get some double sided sticky tape and mount your faceplate so that the radius is even all the way around. Use a vix bit or something similar to pre-drill your holes for your faceplate. Dismount the faceplate, remove the tape, and remount with screws.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Peter Tremblay said:

I've been wanting to turn my lathe into a disk sander for a while.

So I bought a 10" disk that is designed to be used on a table saw to turn it into a disk sander.

My question now is how can I mount it to a 1" x 8 tpi faceplate?

I want it to be very close to perfectly centered.

Any ideas?

If I could figure out a way to get it centered I'd probably epoxy it in place. Maybe even drill and tap a few machine screws while leaving the face of the disk flush.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

Seems to me you want a 1" x 8 tpi to 5/8 arbor adapter. Though, I have no clue where to find one.

Otherwise, I'd buy a large diameter faceplate and face with an MDF disk that is trued after mounting.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Mr_Mike said:

Otherwise, I'd buy a large diameter faceplate and face with an MDF disk that is trued after mounting.

A little late, but this is what I did except I glued a piece of 3/4" ply to the 3/4" MDF to give the screws a little more to grab onto. I ordered [url=http://smile.amazon.com/Steel-Wood-Lathe-Plate-Threaded/dp/B003THWJ9Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1460408908&sr=1-1&keywords=6"+Steel+Wood+Lathe+Face+Plate]this face plate[/url] (mine was 1 1/4" x 8tpi) from amazon and it works great.

Sorry I can't be more help. Good luck
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
There's a centered hole in the sanding plate. Glue a thin piece of wood to your faceplate, turn the edges off, leaving the center proud, and of the diameter of the hole in the sanding plate. Center and glue.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Metal spinning technique. Faceplate in the headstock. Piece of wood in the tailstock. Sanding plate between the two. Once centered drill and tap some screws to hold it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7QB0-AlwtI

Skip to the 4 min mark

Twinn
Will post for food.
MichaelMouse said:

There's a centered hole in the sanding plate. Glue a thin piece of wood to your faceplate, turn the edges off, leaving the center proud, and of the diameter of the hole in the sanding plate. Center and glue.

Thanks, that's a good idea.

Any suggestion for the glue? Type of wood?
Peter

My "day job"
I used some ~1/4" bass. Glued my 1" square with ca, marked my approximate arbor and scraped slowly with a snipped nail in a stick. Little bit of taper will allow positioning precisely to center and a whack or two to get the bass crushed for the final modification.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Peter
I took a 3/4" piece of plywood and attached a 5" face plate to it. I made it slightly larger than 10" so I could true it up on the lathe. You can buy various grits of 10" paper with a sticky back from Lee Valley. Works great.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
When I did my 16" aluminum disc I put the disc in my large Cole jaws, marked it and it turned out very well. Good luck. Tony