Delta Table saw replacing obsolete parts
Hello all I have a Delta tablesaw that I purchased in 1998. The switch has finally given up the ghost and is no longer available. I find it hard to believe that the whole saw is junk now because of a switch, but I know nothing about these sorts of things. Is it possible that a switch from a newer model will fit mine? Delta is closed now so I'll give them a call tomorrow but just interested in what others have done/experienced.

Thanks,
Sheri
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for an amount up to and including their life. That is beyond honor.
A switch is easy most likely. Look for part numbers on it (take it apart if necessary) and you're sure to find a supplier online. Or you can replace it with a different switch.

Post a picture of it so we can help more. What saw is it?
Take the switch itself apart. Most often the real "switch" is a pretty universal part. All the plastic parts that make up the toggle or paddle is just eye candy. There are several shown in grizzly' catalog. One of theirs worked to replace the switch on my old jointer. Took the switch apart and replaced the guts and put the plastic switch back on.

My point was that you're more then likely not tied to Delta, thankfully.
-Marc

This is the part that I think is bad. It's a magnetic switch (I think).

I checked that company's website and I couldn't find anything similar.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for an amount up to and including their life. That is beyond honor.
Looks like Grizzly might just have what I need!

Thanks for the responses.
I'm surprised you made it this long. Switches are Delta's Achilles heel.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
SheriDi said:

Looks like Grizzly might just have what I need!

Thanks for the responses.

I'm running a Grizzly switch on my Delta drill press. Took a bit of looking to find a drop-in replacement.

A "Close Enough" solution that required a faceplate modification was super easy to find, but the Grizz just popped right in.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
SheriDi said:

This is the part that I think is bad. It's a magnetic switch (I think).

I checked that company's website and I couldn't find anything similar.

What model of saw is it? Because the image you posted shows the switch is only rated for 1/2 HP.

Is this a e.g. scrollsaw?

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
No it definitely is not a scroll saw. It's the original switch from my 3 HP 230V Unisaw.

Well that's interesting. . . . .
A 1/2hp switch on a 3hp motor. Imagine that.
Get a paddle switch and mount it in a convenient place.