Tracing Coax
Hi everyone,

We recently bought a new home, and up on the 3rd floor there is a cable outlet that is not working. I can follow it into the crawl space at the eves, but it then goes down in an exterior wall, and I cannot follow it beyond that.

Outside where the cable connects to the house there are about 6 cables that are not connected and have no connectors on them. I am wondering if one of these is perhaps what I need to connect.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could figure out if one of these coax cables is in fact on the run up to the third floor? I know I could go get some connectors and start connecting stuff, but I would like to narrow it down, if possible.

Thanks,
Matt
probably the cheapest option
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

You could short the center conductor to the shield, on one of the disconnected cables, at a time, then check for continuity between them at the upstairs connector-with 2 people, one upstairs (to read the meter), and one at the box (to short the plugs one at a time), this would be pretty quick.
rlnguy said:

You could short the center conductor to the shield, on one of the disconnected cables, at a time, then check for continuity between them at the upstairs connector-with 2 people, one upstairs (to read the meter), and one at the box (to short the plugs one at a time), this would be pretty quick.

^^^ ^^^
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Matt
Wild Turkey said:

[blockquote]rlnguy said:

^^^ ^^^

[/blockquote]

I do this all the time to trace wires. Another related tip if you have a pair of wires and want to ensure which is which is to place a 9 volt battery across them and measure the polarity on the other end.
WoodNET... the new safespace
rlnguy said:

I do that with most wiring tests.

Another method is to wrap red tape around the wire on the inside then go outside and pull the wire out. If it has red tape on it- that was the one.
rlnguy said:

.....-with 2 people, one upstairs (to read the meter), and one at the box (to short the plugs one at a time), this would be pretty quick.

If the location has wi-fi I use my iPad as the 2nd person.
I have a couple of throwaway email account and use my phone and iPad to skype each other. Put my iPad down at one location and view it with my phone in the other.
srv52761 said:

If the location has wi-fi I use my iPad as the 2nd person.
I have a couple of throwaway email account and use my phone and iPad to skype each other. Put my iPad down at one location and view it with my phone in the other.

This is Brilliant! I was a the Electrical Supply house yesterday and the sales rep from Southwire was there showing off the new wifi enabled meters. You can view the meter from your iphone up to 60' away. i thought it was a great but your idea works just as well(and over 60') using equipment I already own.
CLETUS said:

probably the cheapest option

I had the same problem and the unit specified here solve it. Very handy to own and I've now used it a few times.