Another d/t jig ?
Years ago I considered buying a Leigh d4. I read many threads on Woodnet over the years, which applauded its versatility, but also criticized its complexity. My question, in its latest form the d4 r pro, has it become more user friendly.
Thanks in advance
Mark
That looks to be the same as my ~20 year old D4 other than the stops on mine are movable, and on the new one they seem to be milled and fixed. Milled and fixed would be far better.

I have to say that a Leigh jig, any of them is a purchase well worth the money. I have used mine so much that some of the split fingers have gotten a bit loose and I had to replace the screws and wedge blocks on them. But it took hundreds of DTs to do that. It is one of the reasons I bought one of the jigs with the non-split fingers. There are times where non-adjustible width tails is not an issue.

And no doubt having 24" of capacity is nice for those times that it is needed. That said I still covet the 12" model for those small jobs. A Leigh jig is always worth the cost.

Edit to add they are really not that complex. If you know and understand DTs, then the jig is not a big deal to learn.

<.......Leigh junkie with 3 DT jigs (and all templates) and 1 FMT.
I'm a (sort of) newb. I don't see the D4Rpro as being complex. I boiled down the through DT steps to a short cheat sheet to which I refer each time I use the jig - just to make sure I do all the steps.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I was worried about the same complexity issue but if you follow the book, it's not that hard. I can't say I remember how to use it and would have to refer to the book again but it's not hard to figure out.

The Akeda was the easiest, but with limitations and out of business.
Between Dayton, Cinci, and Columbus there is almost always a Leigh jig posted I have bought them in brand new condition for $5.00 at auctions more than a few times. Sometimes the seller is crazy with the price, Usually they just want it gone.

Maybe you guys don't have trouble reading instructions, but I would say quite a few people have had major issues with them. Knowing what I know I would never pay retail for one. On the other hand you can't buy a used Akeda for retail.

Clearly in the ad that is current he is barking up an expensive tree
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Funny way back I had a fully loaded akeda 24. The fit was always too loose or too tight. The only way to compensate was under or oversized bushings, but nothing worked. I talked to Kevan at akeda many times and his attitude was it's your fault. I sold it.
Some people just won't read instructions - in fact they get mad if they have to. A neighbor bought a Leigh jig and told me it was crap. I went over and walked him thru it and he had good success right away. He likes the jig now, does only half blind, and never looks at the manual. And there are only 8 pages on half blind dovetails.
I just did a quick search of CL in my area and wow, 4 jigs for sale. 2 Old 12 inch ones for great prices of ~$100. One new in the box 12" and the guy wants $300 for it (that's retail price!). Another D4 is up for $300 OBO which is a decent price, but not a steal. All of those jigs are in perfect working order except one is missing a finger screw, which is easy to get a new one for.

I guess people just don't keep, er hoard, tools like I do.
Curlycherry said:

I just did a quick search of CL in my area and wow, 4 jigs for sale. 2 Old 12 inch ones for great prices of ~$100. One new in the box 12" and the guy wants $300 for it (that's retail price!). Another D4 is up for $300 OBO which is a decent price, but not a steal. All of those jigs are in perfect working order except one is missing a finger screw, which is easy to get a new one for.

I guess people just don't keep, er hoard, tools like I do.

I have seen this with regularity, and on the ones priced low enough to investigate in every case they were selling because they couldn't figure it out. I have said all along, great jigs, but rally crappy instruction for most hobbiests, and what they considered way too steep a learning curve.

Mark, to date you are still the only person I have heard say the Akeda didn't work, almost magically so too. It is a jig, just like a PC, a Leigh, the Akeda if set up correctly just guides the bushing along a pre made guide. I would suspect even a lowly HF jig if set up correctly would make fine DT's. The only thing I have been able to find different from jig to jig is the ease of set up, and I have found the Akeda to be the easiest by far, for a feature filled jig. Perhaps if available a trip to a Rockler or WoodCraft on a day they are demonstrating the Leigh would be beneficial? Through the years I have started many a woodworker down the path, and I always found the PC 4212 to be easy to figure out, very forgiving, and with instruction that was easy enough to follow. Perhaps starting there, and moving to the more feature filled Leigh later would be a better choice. I always suggest it for a persons first jig. For most it does what is needed, and seldom do they upgrade.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
The Pro and regular D4 are pretty similar I believe. I think the main advantage is the single pass hb dovetails. There's a mod you can do on the D4 to allow for that.

Personally I think the jig is pretty easy to use if you follow the instructions. There are a few steps so it's hard to remember them all if you're not constantly using it. So like many here, I have to pull out the instructions for a refresher most times I use it. It also helps alot of time to keep 2 dedicated routers for the task. Especially if you're working with the same thickness from project to project.