Should I replace or shorten my Excalibur sliding table?
I have an Excalibur sliding table on my Unisaw. It works great, but the outside rails stick so far out that I and my family tend to bruise our legs bumping into them all the time. My wife has begged me to shorten them (I would simply cut the rail with a sawzall and replace the stop lug). I realize, though, that doing so will reduce my crosscut capacity. The other option would be to replace it. Here are my questions:
1) Do you think I'd regret losing the crosscut capacity in exchange for freedom of movement?
2) Can you recommend another sliding table that would be less obtrusive?
3) Have you ever gotten rid of a sliding table, and if so, was it a good or bad move?

Thanks so much for your answers.

- Ray
Welcome to the forum. Most woodworkers don't have a sliding table. Most woodworkers would love to have one. If it is just a matter of the rail sticking out past the table, shorten the length but if it were mine, I would just pad the end with some foam. Also, I would think your family members would only have to get bruised once to know to walk around it rather than through it. Maybe just remind them that there are sharp, hard surfaces in any woodworking shop and to watch what they are doing when in there (?). Ken
I have the same setup and I would like Ken figure out how to pad the tube.

If that is not acceptable, the cut it off but make an insert ( a hardwood plug about 18" long would work) so you can add it back on when you need it.

JMO

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Great idea, Joe. I can machine an 18" length of 2X4 to fit inside the tube to act as a coupler.
I have a Mule Cab slider on a Grizzly 1023SL. I put tennis balls (cut an X in them) on the end of my rails. They help, but my "Lab" shop assistant won't leave them alone
Please pray for our troops! Semper Fi!

Bob Ross (I used to be called "Doc")
www.theborkstore.com

I have a piece of 3/4x 6" flat bar that sticks out like what your describing and have he same problem as you.It don't give a bit,so I took a small bucket slid over the end so that everyone can see that orange bucket.Cut it off,no way if possible put saw on mobile base,move it when not in use
Rig up a hinge system to swing it up and out of the way where it joins the table saw top.
the slider in question uses square tubing for the guide rails

cutting these down may not be the best solution but at least they can be put back together well enough to function with some care
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Joe,

I did what you suggested. Took a few minutes. Works OK; the secret is go cut the wood coupler to fit EXACTLY in the square tube. Mine ihas about 1/32" play and it wiggles a bit when the table is fully pulled back. But, as a quick fix (before I can cut a more accurate fitting coupler) I wrapped a thickness of tape around it and it's snug. Overall, it works fine for me and additional maneuvering room is quite worth the effort. Thanks again!

- Ray
I figured it should work out ok.

Probably not much of a need to make a complete new plug if you cut off some thickness of the plug glue a new thicker piece to it then size it exactly as you said.

Joe