Finally replaced the switch on my Grizzly bandsaw.
I love everything about my Grizzly G-0513P bandsaw except the ON/OFF switch. Lots of other power tool manufacturers use this same switch so it's not just a Grizzly problem. My Delta drill press has the same switch.

Why do I hate it so much??

You need to hit the red (cosmetic) OFF button right at its middle or it will bind up and not plunge deep enough to hit the underlying (real) OFF button. My Delta drill press does it too. The insides of the switch look like this:

I considered experimenting with regularly lubricating it and that might have worked, but I eventually decided to just replace it with a high-quality toggle switch.

This might be a safety violation but, speaking only for myself, the risk of accidentally bumping the toggle and starting the bandsaw is outweighed by the ability to shut the machine off quickly without fumbling or having to take my eyes off the work to look at the switch. Everyone has their own safety comfort level and this is what's right for me.

I bought a heavy-duty toggle switch that's rated for a 2hp motor - it costs about $15 and it was a drop-in replacement with no modification to the machine. I sprayed the switch cover bright red for good measure.

I've been using it for a few months now and am really happy with the operation.

Mike
What's the wooden hook for just above the switch straddling the column and the door?

I need to replace the switch on my jointer/planer combo. It's the only tool I've ever bought that didn't come with a lockout or a key. And to make matters worse it's mounted below the tables on the cabinet about thigh height. Or perfect height for a curious 3 your old to start punching! I keep it unplugged...but you know how it will go that one time you forget!
-Marc

WaterlooMarc said:

What's the wooden hook for just above the switch straddling the column and the door?

I was sorta wondering the same thing...
Hanger for hearing protection?

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Hanger for cord?
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Ding ding ding ding

You are correct sir!

If you look over at the drill press you'll see a magnetic task light stuck to it. Sometimes I move that light over to the bandsaw and the wooden hook (also magnetic) keeps the cord out of the way.

Mike
woodhead said:

Hanger for hearing protection?

Al

I like this idea. Much more fancy than just hanging on the hand wheel like I do!
-Marc

Looks good. I did that with my Jet 6x89 sander
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020