Foredom Rotary Tool
I was given an older one, a type "C". NIB, I have no idea how old it is but I tried it out today and it works fine.
However, after 20 minutes or so of use I found the motor quite hot, such that I could not keep my hand on it.

My rule is, too hot to touch, too hot to use.

The shaft and handle were cool to the touch.

Anyone with one of these neat tools, please comment on your experience.
Ag
The shaft could still be a little tight. Try and clean and lube it. How easy does it turn?
Can the motor be lubed?
My experience was back when I was with Shopsmith. They made one that chucked into the drill press chuck, and had the cord going away to the handle. You used the vari speed dial to get your speed right. Nothing you held was hot to touch, but that little rod in the drill chuck would get hot enough to weld with
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Bearings and shaft may be getting dry if it's sat unused for several years.
I would remove the shaft and housing and let the motor run without it..If it still gets hot, I would guess that the lube in the bearings has turned to varnish..if it runs cool, I would then soak the cable and housing in mineral spirits to dissolve the varnish causing the motor overload, then re-lube it and try it.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset