Lathe Question
I will be new to turning, having recently acquired a classic old lathe. It is about 4' long and I'll need to purchase some accessories for it as it came with none; does have the tailstock and banjo.

However, that is an aside. My question is can you do anything on a small lathe, for instance a "Midi" that you can't do on a larger lathe like this one?

Thanks,

Doug
The length isn't necessary important, although it is indicative of the size and horsepower of the rest of the lathe.

You'll see a world of difference when you turn anything over 6 inches with a full size lathe than a midi, especially if it's out of round. The weight (reduces vibration) and horsepower of a bigger lathe have a huge affect.
Made this bird house and the bird on a Powermatic 4224. Golden Rule, you can turn small stuff on a big lathe but you can't turn big stuff on a small lathe.

Steve K

Thanks guys! Beautiful work on that birdhouse, Steve!

Doug
I can't think of a single thing I could do on my Jet Mini that I can't do on my Nova DVR. I'd not necessarily classify my DVR as a "big" lathe, but the same applies as stated before about being able to do small stuff on a big lathe, but you can't do big stuff on a small lathe. I turn pens all the time on my Nova, and I've done some pretty dainty finials for Christmas ornaments on it as well.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The swing of a lathe is the diameter of work that can be put on a lathe. If you are turning on centers, the maximum diameter is the clearance over the carriage which is somewhere around half the rated swing.

A lathe that is described as 12x36 would beable to turn something a little less than 12 inches and 36 inches long.
You can take a small one with you to shows and schools to do demos.
If you've got the room, etc. Bigger Is Always Better

Unless you need to sit down while turning, then it gets more complicated.

My lathe turns 53" between centers but had to do current job in two sections.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)