Does anyone own a...?
Digital Laser Photo Non Contact RPM Tachometer?

How accurate are they?
I'd like to know how fast my lathes actually turn vs. the advertised speed in the owner's manual.

Thanks for any help.

Almost forgot the LINKY.
I have dual (contact, non-contact) and even the cheapies appear to work fine IME.

Dual Tach
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
I have used Strobes, when I worked on Diesel Truck/ Transport Reefers. Pretty simple very accurate. Don't own one, used to borrow one from a vendor that did our starters, pumps rebuild etc...
They can be great or a PITA. It depends on the reference that they will use. Note that they want you to buy reflective tape. That should make measuring easy and give perfect accuracy—well unless there is a similar reflectivity somewhere else on the shaft.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I've used the Fieldpiece one for many years. They have changed now but are very accurate.

I think this is the newer model. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fieldpiece-SPRM1...rmvSB=true
I own a couple. Got them free with orders from somewhere. Work fine for me checking Gcode and spindle speeds. Nothing critical counting on them.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'll probably regret asking this but wth....

Any particular reason you need to know?
Wipedout said:

What's wrong with you?

chris
doobes said:

[blockquote]Wipedout said:

What's wrong with you?

[/blockquote]
+1.
Wipedout said:

You mean you've never set your lathe at 700 rpm and wondered if it were going just 690 rpm? I'm shocked!

I have to admit- I've tested all of mine. None were as advertized, but it made no difference anyway.