About that collection of mixed screws
As a hobbyist I have, like many of you, a pan of mixed screws that I dig into for a few screws on occasion. Today I caught myself bypassing the ones with straight slots. Realizing that this had been a habit for a few years I noticed that the collection had become mostly straight slots. So, like the great lock washer purge of '98, I started tossing them into the recycling bin. Brass screws get a reprieve.
I dumped all my common hardware years ago. The only common headed stuff I kept was the machine screws. I don't know why the common headed screw is still even made other than to aggravate people. Seems screw manufacturers are somewhat vindictive.

Oh I also have some silicon bronze screws that I will keep as well.
I am a packrat who has built an extra building after filling one up

Consequently I probably have every extra screw or bolt from all the oddball stuff I have had somewhere in a collective of containers like these.

or these

I even check them when I need a fastener or two. Unfortunately because I need a 12 step program for hardware if I need 3 or more, off to the store I go.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I am in the process of replacing all the original cabinet hinges in our built in 1965 houes.

Every single screw is a straight slotted one.

I have a DeWalt 20v drill.

It is an adventure getting some of them(bottom hinge 10" off the floor, for example.

The little LED light on the drill is calibrated for a point about 8" in front of the chuck----meaning an extension is necessary.

I'm old and fat, can no longer bend/kneel. It is an adventure.
Straight slot screws yes, but I keep all lock washers.

I hated straight slot screws since I turned my first one probably 50 years ago. The Philips wasn't much better. The square is my favorite, now they have the star drive which is fine- they can stop there. I'm tired of re-tooling.
daddo said:

Straight slot screws yes, but I keep all lock washers.

I hated straight slot screws since I turned my first one probably 50 years ago. The Philips wasn't much better. The square is my favorite, now they have the star drive which is fine- they can stop there. I'm tired of re-tooling.

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

With the exception of some old junk all most all of my screws are square drive from McFeeleys. I got hem back in the day when you bought a screw assortment the whole order shipped free. Common and Philips both suck! Philips is supposed to cam out before the screw is damaged—Ya right I have some torx, pozi, hex and combo though.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I've been collecting screws, nuts, bolts, and washers for 40 yrs. When my kids were babies I kept all the powdered formula tin cans, painted them black and labeled them. Nuts, Bolts, Wood screws, 16d common, 8d Finish, etc. That way if I was in the house doing something I could have my kids grab the appropriate container and bring it to me if needed.

15 yrs ago I paid my daughter $.02 a slotted screw to remove them from my collection. I think she made $5. Haven't used a slotted screw since.
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

I had a collection in bottles for a while. When we moved I bought some of those drawers. I gave the kids a job to sort them. It has been great. Only problem is now I have to look in several drawes before I find what I want. I do have them sorted by type and size but I forgot that when I need something.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
glzahn said:

I've been collecting screws, nuts, bolts, and washers for 40 yrs. When my kids were babies I kept all the powdered formula tin cans, painted them black and labeled them. Nuts, Bolts, Wood screws, 16d common, 8d Finish, etc. That way if I was in the house doing something I could have my kids grab the appropriate container and bring it to me if needed.

15 yrs ago I paid my daughter $.02 a slotted screw to remove them from my collection. I think she made $5. Haven't used a slotted screw since.

That's when she found out about taxes, insurance and benefits- you deducted $4 from that right?