About that collection of mixed screws
K. L, McReynolds said:

I am in the process of replacing all the original cabinet hinges in our built in 1965 houes.

Every single screw is a straight slotted one.

I have a DeWalt 20v drill.

It is an adventure getting some of them(bottom hinge 10" off the floor, for example.

The little LED light on the drill is calibrated for a point about 8" in front of the chuck----meaning an extension is necessary.

I'm old and fat, can no longer bend/kneel. It is an adventure.

I got one of the LV Folding Kneeler Stools in the current free shipping because I am having those sorts of issues. I have not tried it yet.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
It seems odd to me that I do not see square-drive, stars, and torx screws available for sale in any of my local hardware and big-box stores. I've had to buy the screwdrivers for various repairs and for working on some of my (simple) machines and power tools. Having bought the screwdrivers, and seen their advantages, I wouldn't mind transitioning over to the improved screws..... if I could find them readily. Are the square drive, torx, and stars screws available in retail stores elsewhere? If you buy them, where do you buy them? Thanks.
They're there. Just have to look for them, usually their premium screws have the better heads. Their regular screw line is Phillips.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Around here deck screws with different heads are available from HD & Lowes. The local Woodcraft has a good selection of square-drive screws in a couple of different alloys (regular and high-strength).
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Funny this comes up right now. I just picked up 3 tubs full miscellaneous screws that my Dad collected over 90 years of tinkering. Most of them are old common screws that will probably get tossed but there is a ton of other hardware from hinges to fittings and anything you can think of. It will be a good winter project going through all that stuff to see what's there.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
iclark said:

[blockquote]K. L, McReynolds said:

I am in the process of replacing all the original cabinet hinges in our built in 1965 houes.

Every single screw is a straight slotted one.

I have a DeWalt 20v drill.

It is an adventure getting some of them(bottom hinge 10" off the floor, for example.

The little LED light on the drill is calibrated for a point about 8" in front of the chuck----meaning an extension is necessary.

I'm old and fat, can no longer bend/kneel. It is an adventure.

I got one of the LV Folding Kneeler Stools in the current free shipping because I am having those sorts of issues. I have not tried it yet.

[/blockquote]

I can't stay on my knees very long, so I just lay down.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Some kind of sorting tray makes going thru hardware bins a lot easier. I made one several years ago, but can't find a pic or link online to something like it. But this is the idea...

Benny

Since I make a lot of reproduction stuff I am always looking for slotted screws, preferably not plated.
castguy2003 said:

Since I make a lot of reproduction stuff I am always looking for slotted screws, preferably not plated.

I don't make reproduction furniture but I still use slotted wood screws a lot. It's just a traditional look.

I think the distain for slotted screws arose with the increased use of cordless drill/drivers. It's hard to keep the bit centered in a slotted screw head.
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.

Before the days of cordless screwdrivers I drove hundreds of 3" #14 flat head slotted wood screws with a brace fitted fitted with a driver blade.
That is how we made wood (mahogany) pattern boards back in the day.
You learned how to sharpen a driver blade.