Beads of Courage boxes
Does anyone make them for a local children's cancer hospital?

Six months ago our group of turners was told about Beads of Courage by me and another vet who went to our local Children's hospital to hear about what they are doing.

The lady in charge of it taken us around to some of the kids and we seen many of them with Strings of beads around their necks.
They get 1 bead for seeing the Dr, hospital stay, or anything else that a child does concerning their cancer. We seen about 15 that had a string of beads of several thousand.

We were told that the kids wanted to put the beads into something and My friend and I came up with a proper size that could hold a lot of beads and something the child would love to have. The size is 6x6x6 or 6x6x7 or 5x5x8 or anything like that.
So far I have only made two of them but the club has made around 35 in the last 5 months. We were told that they have between 350 to 375 kids a year so we have to get busy.

So I was just wondering if anyone else is doing this? It is also one of the reasons I checked on the Colored plywood so the kids would get something flashy and colorful too.

I was going to get a 4x15x41 of two different colors if I sell more flowers in the future which to me it is a win win win by me getting to make them, the kids getting them and the parents being happy the kids have something too.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
The AAW does 2 different efforts at their annual symposium (at least for the recent years).

They do an "empty bowls" where turners donate bowls that are sold for a flat fee each at the symposium. The local AAW chapter generally selects the local charity that the proceeds go to. Seems like it is usually a foodbank or some other effort to fight hunger.

The other is a "beads of courage" lidded box drive. These are donated and put on display during the symposium. After the symposium, they go to the Beads of Courage org.

I am trying to get our local club to do an "empty bowls" push for the AAW in Atlanta. We just finished one in February where the bowls went to a local "empty bowls" fund raiser organized by one of the local pottery groups. They do a fundraiser where each person who donates by buying a ticket gets a bowl (woodturned or pottery thrown) and a dinner (with the food donated to the cause by other groups). As explained to us, they had a tough time getting enough bowls to cover the available seats at the dinner. We were glad to help. In addition to simply asking for volunteers, we also did bowls to be donated as a monthly club challenge. When we do challenges, the club members vote for the best and the winner gets a prize. Frequently, the prize is a gift certificate from the Woodcraft where we meet.

If we can get the club to respond well to the "empty bowls" this year, then perhaps we can push for lidded boxes for the beads of courage next year. I did a lidded box in one of the Richard Raffin courses that I took, but I have trouble finding good turning stock (and time) to tackle lidded boxes big enough for BoC. It seems like this is one of those times that a RingMaster would be really handy.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Beads of Courage link

Even a "simple" chemo treatment means at least 6-7 doctor visits/month for 6 months.(yep, 42 beads worth) so you can see how serious/complex treatments could yield LOTS of beads.

I think I'll build some boxes . . .
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
iclark said:

The AAW does 2 different efforts at their annual symposium (at least for the recent years).

They do an "empty bowls" where turners donate bowls that are sold for a flat fee each at the symposium. The local AAW chapter generally selects the local charity that the proceeds go to. Seems like it is usually a foodbank or some other effort to fight hunger.

The other is a "beads of courage" lidded box drive. These are donated and put on display during the symposium. After the symposium, they go to the Beads of Courage org.

I am trying to get our local club to do an "empty bowls" push for the AAW in Atlanta. We just finished one in February where the bowls went to a local "empty bowls" fund raiser organized by one of the local pottery groups. They do a fundraiser where each person who donates by buying a ticket gets a bowl (woodturned or pottery thrown) and a dinner (with the food donated to the cause by other groups). As explained to us, they had a tough time getting enough bowls to cover the available seats at the dinner. We were glad to help. In addition to simply asking for volunteers, we also did bowls to be donated as a monthly club challenge. When we do challenges, the club members vote for the best and the winner gets a prize. Frequently, the prize is a gift certificate from the Woodcraft where we meet.

If we can get the club to respond well to the "empty bowls" this year, then perhaps we can push for lidded boxes for the beads of courage next year. I did a lidded box in one of the Richard Raffin courses that I took, but I have trouble finding good turning stock (and time) to tackle lidded boxes big enough for BoC. It seems like this is one of those times that a RingMaster would be really handy.

Ivan

You can glue up 8/4 or 12/4 woods together to get the height. Also if you have a local children's hospital if you bring several members they I will guarantee they will want to help and encourage others to turn them and not want any presents to make them.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

LIL

Every year at SWAT they have on display many of the boxes made by the local turning group.

Here are pictures of some of them

http://www.swaturners.org/index.php/bead...s/2014-boc
I belong to the Dallas Area Woodturners (DAW) club and we have been building and donating Beads of Courage boxes for about 5 years now. We have a couple of clubs members who recently started making kits for others to finish. I have seen segmented, stave and solid boxes built. Most all of the boxes get adorned with a "Beads of Courage" button or cabochon. You can get the logo beads from their website.
web page

Our club, for about the last 8 years, has also been donating bowls to the Dallas Empty Bowls event that serves the Dallas Food Bank. We typically get around 250 bowls for donation each year. The event in Dallas is held in February so we are building stock of bowls for next year. Each monthly club meeting there are many 'Empty Bowls' and 'Beads of Courage' boxes donated by members.
Regards, Tod
That is great Tod

That is a lot of boxes.

We have had new turners to long time turners make them and a lot of them do not sand very well so I have to make sure they are nice and sanded so no kids get slivers. We mention it every meeting about sanding and the same guys leave the insides really bad and sometimes the outside to.

Arlin

Our club, Woodturners of St. Louis has been making and donating Beads of Courage boxes to St. Louis Children's Hospital for at least a year now. You can watch YouTube videos about BOC and see some of the kids with their beads. Sure does touch my heart every time I watch. A turner by the name of John Tolley from Texas got the idea of using plastic pipe in 4 or 6 inch diameter for the main body of the box and then turn a base and top and lid from wood. It's a great idea for someone who might not be comfortable hollowing, and also for the turner who might not have wood large enough or dry enough. The plastic pipe can be covered with fabric or left plain. We sometimes provide stickers that allow the kids to decorate the box themselves. Some of us have brought lengths of pipe for members to get them started.
I've made a few, both all wood and using the plastic pipe and it's a rewarding feeling knowing you might bring a smile to a childs face. The Beads of Courage program has expanded to also include children with heart issues. My grandson is a recipient of BOC and he has over 100 beads. Naturally, grandpa has made a box for him. I'd recommend all turners consider making containers for this worthy cause. I guarantee you won't be sorry.
Rick

Maybe we can do something here where by the end of this year we would have made 2 boxes and gave them to the hospitals and get at least 20 or more guys going and take pics of what they did.

At the end of the year whoever made the most we give a gift certificate to the winner or something else?

Arlin