preventing power cord hang-ups
Using a bearing-guided bit to rout an ogee profile on a 18"x x 24" table top, I ran into a slight problem (could've been worse). The router's power cord kept wanting to get in my way. I was able to prevent a mis-hap, and the job came out fine. But I can't help thinking there must be a way to "elevate" the power cord and keep it off the worktable top, while allowing it to move freely and follow the router freely without getting in the way. I envision some combination of springs and pulleys. But I'm stymied about what to do. If you've encountered and solved this problem, I'd be grateful for your suggestions!
I just run the cord over my shoulder so it's out of the way and I know where it's at.
Plan your moves ahead of time!!!!!! Look the job over and if you have to take a dry run at it and see all the problems.
John T.
Drape the cord over your shoulder.
daddo said:

Drape the cord over your shoulder.

Works for me. I should add I do this with every hand held power tool, not just routers. I find it helps most with a track saw, not that it wants to get into the cut, rather snagged on a sheet of plywood, thus preventing forward motion.

If a person felt they had to have some kind of contraption you could make a base, and a flexing arm of 8020 stuff they have enough complimentary hardware pieces making something like the Festool armature would be child's play, and I suspect at a much lower cost..
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've experienced a similar problem with a belt sander cord. The sander gobbled up the cord. Solved the problem by attaching a "C" shaped chain connector to a cord suspended from the ceiling directly over the work area. Just put the cord into the connector, screwed the nut tight, and the problem was solved.

John
I have a pretty good solution for my 2 ROS. The cords hang from the end of an extension cord near the ceiling. The end of the extension cord is held by a retractor which pays out as needed. The retractor is hung from a horizontal bar 4 ft long which is close to the ceiling, stuck thru a couple of screw eyes. This gives me a lot of range around the shop. Cord over the shoulder didn't give me the same mobility.
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, because the receptacles are on the wall behind my workbench, draping the power cord over my shoulder wouldn't work. (I've used this solution under other circumstances.) A retractable extension cord would work, but would require that I install a receptacle on or near the ceiling (not out of the question). Nevertheless, there is certainly a solution, and I'll build on your thoughtful responses to come up with one. Thanks again!
jihhwood said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, because the receptacles are on the wall behind my workbench, draping the power cord over my shoulder wouldn't work. (I've used this solution under other circumstances.) A retractable extension cord would work, but would require that I install a receptacle on or near the ceiling (not out of the question). Nevertheless, there is certainly a solution, and I'll build on your thoughtful responses to come up with one. Thanks again!

In that case, a highly elastic strap attached to the upper part of the wall with the plug and connected to a section of the cord would keep it up.

Or, if you are doing a lot of work, simply using an extension cord to another plug, then again, drape it over your shoulder.
Greetings

My ceiling is at 8' and I screwed a hook into it at about the middle of the workbench and put both ends of a bungee cord on the hook. When using any power tool near the work bench I thread the cable through the bungee then plug it in. Works for me!
Regards

Toscageoff

Work Safely

WTH is an assignation?? WM 01/08/08