Keeping power cords out of the way when using a woodworking router
Using a bearing-guided bit to rout an ogee profile on a 18"x x 24" table top, I ran into a slight problem (could've been worse). The router's power cord kept wanting to get in my way. I was able to prevent a mis-hap, and the job came out fine. But I can't help thinking there must be a way to "elevate" the power cord and keep it off the worktable top, while allowing it to move freely and follow the router freely without getting in the way. I envision some combination of springs and pulleys. But I'm stymied about what to do. If you've encountered and solved this problem, I'd be grateful for your suggestions!
12 Gauge Retractable Reel with Single Outlet I have one overhanging
both benches in the shop. Check amazon for reel. HTH

To add they plug into a light socket on ceiling
You asked in this forum also I see so I will repeat my answer. Very simple. Plan your moves ahead of time. Do a dry run if you have to. It is what makes a good foreman on a job. Be able to foresee problems before they happen. Throw the cable over your shoulder was mentioned. Have plenty of slack. Clip it to your belt. That is all I have.
John T.
Toss the cord over your shoulder.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
Allen said:

Al

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Allen said:

Al

+1, that's what I do, same as with the electric lawnmower
Thanks for the suggestions. The "cord over the shoulder" solution would work if the configuration of my workbench and receptacles allowed it. Unfortunately, the receptacles are on the wall behind the workbench, which means they would cross over the workpiece if I were to do this. Seems as though a retractable extension cord would make the most sense. I do agree that pre-planning is essential. Again, thank you for your recommendations.
My old friend Lenny strung a line across his basement from one side to the other.
He bought some of those old fashioned shower curtain hooks that look like a teardrop.
He hung the small end on the line, and put a cord thru the fat side of the hooks. He could zip the power cord across the basement where he needed it like opening a shower curtain.
Pretty ingenious if you ask me.
Hang a bungee cord loosely between two rafters. Loop the power cord through the hanging portion of the bungee. It will slide over the bungee and if you need a bit of give the bungee will provide that too.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Allen said:

Al

+1 this is what I do.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent