Variable Speed Drill Press: make or buy?
I have a delta X5 drill press that is both infuriating and delightful. Delightful in that it is true 'variable' speed. My son and I use that feature a great deal, and find it very convenient.

Infuriating in that the thing is of otherwise poor quality. Of the 'poor quality' the only part that is really irritating is the degree of runout the thing has. At one point the reeves drive almost blew apart, but I prior to disaster I rebuilt it with new components and it's fine now. During the rebuild, I wanted to go ahead and replace the quill mechanism but unfortunately the part with the poor runout is a part that Delta no longer offers as a spare.

What I would like to do is replace the tool. Problem is, with what? I want low-runout, I also want variable speed, and the RANGE of speed that is good for both using little bitty bits (like a #60) in metal and for use great big bits (like a 3" forstner) in hardwoods.

There is a Powermatic that looks on the surface like it's the ticket. But what I read says runout is still a problem on those. For about $600, I believe I can retrofit a 1hp 3ph 56c frame motor with a 120vac input VFD onto an existing drill press.

But which drill press? Should be floor standing, heavy, low runout, durable. It will, of course, have 'belts' but it's irrelevant if changing them is messy or kludgy. I can leave the belt set to whatever and let the drive do 98% of the speed changes.

Thoughts? Alternatives to the PM?
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

The old powermatic 1150's are top of the line woodworking drill presses. If there are problems, you can fix it, and with a VFD you would love it, and it would last your lifetime.
Id put the motor and drive on a milldrill of the Rf30 or RF45 variety (8"X29" size). RF = rong fu - and you want the one that is about 750lbs. Id skip the Sieg size machines. That size is offerend by a number of vendors and has been around for years. Its floor standing when on a base/cabinet. Don't confuse benchtop with what you think you know about benchtop on ww machines - benchtop in the metal world is what they mean lol.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Drill-Mi..._campaign=zPage

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Old Rockwells*, tho not sophisticated like maybe a Buffalo, can be good enough to compete. VFDs are the best way to control speed & torque. Can turm 1.5" cutters at 50RPM without stalling, in mine.
Have featured (verb) the tool, fence, casters, light, new table etc.
Other candidates:
What old drills are great? They must be re-built x reputable sources. But if done well, they pay for themsleves 5x over.
Buffalo, Atlas, DoAll, Davis & Wells, Powermatics, Rockwells, General, Clausing, Delta, Pre'65 Sears, walker-turner, Duro, & Wilton
e.g.

* Old Rockwells

The Essentials
Pat Warner
BloomingtonMike said:

Id put the motor and drive on a milldrill of the Rf30 or RF45 variety (8"X29" size). RF = rong fu - and you want the one that is about 750lbs. Id skip the Sieg size machines. That size is offerend by a number of vendors and has been around for years. Its floor standing when on a base/cabinet. Don't confuse benchtop with what you think you know about benchtop on ww machines - benchtop in the metal world is what they mean lol.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Drill-Mi..._campaign=zPage

I have a smaller version of that mill/drill and it has .000" runout and unstoppable power. This type of drilling is hard to beat. You do have to be careful- if the bit hangs, it going to tear the piece to pieces.

The new drill press I have has about .003" runout. I don't think you can find a drill press with no runout and it gets worse as it ages. I think the machining today is pot luck on drill presses.
Thanks all. Got it.
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Look for a VS rockwell or powermatic or some other old iron press. I have a Clausing but have had several of the VS rockwells pass through my hands that I have fixed and resold. Ideally, you can find them for less than 400 give or take. They may need some work or maybe just a cleanup, it depends. Some of the old 17" deltas are nice too, find one with a 3 phase motor and run a VFD, you will just need to move the belt occasionally.