A Furniture Quality Bar for Your Home
When you came through the front door of his new home, the first room you entered had three couches surrounding a large fireplace and very large windows. It was where family would gather and friends were entertained.. He wanted to have a cocktail bar built into a small niche on one of the walls …but wished for it to be very handsome as it would be seen by all.
The interior designer (Leslie Gustafson) and I had collaborated on a number of other projects for this client in previous homes of his. Not only does she understand woodworking better than most but she trusts my input. We are always ‘on the same page’, you could say.
Here you see my rendering (modified from a previous sketch that had a wine cooler on the left).

He and I visited a reclaimed lumber place I deal with and found some old timbers that we would use to make the bar’s countertop. These heart pine planks were 2.5 inches thick. You can see the original saw marks from the mill.

I jointed & planed (dimensionalising) the planks and kept as much thickness as possible. The timbers were so old that the darkened patina existed throughout it’s depth (not only at the surface). Here they are with biscuit slots and ready to be joined.

Here is the assembled counter ready for tung oil and a urethane top coat. The oil seals both top & bottom from moisture. The top coat both fills the checks (thin splits) and makes the whole surface very durable.

…. and how the grain contrast increases after finishing…

I made the cabinet from walnut. Nothing was stained here, neither the top nor the cabs . All the color you see is natural . I do think the walnut will look even better in a few yrs, after it’s been beat up a bit.
The tall drawers are actually pull-out shelves that hold various sized bottles. Soft, self closing slides are a must for this application.

… and after I added a slim back splash (a spilled drink would stain the sheetrock wall otherwise) and knobs.

This was but one of the four projects we built for his new place. I’ll be posting the other work here soon.
"Courage is knowing what not to fear."
www.hudsoncabinetmaking.com
Thats really nice
For The Love Of Wood
Fabulous. I think the square corner on the finished product looks better than the rounded corner on the rendering. Nice choice. I also really like the wood of the cabinet.
That, my friend, is art. Plain & simple.
Herb G said:

That, my friend, is art. Plain & simple.

"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Truly elegant. The grain on the panels is striking,

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I never would have thought heart pine and walnut would look good together, but they look great. The walnut nicely blends in with the floor, and the top adds a lot of character. Excellent job!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I really like how the edge of the top angles back toward the base starting at about an inch from the surface of the top. Very pleasing detail. Ken
Never thought pine could look so good! Beautiful job.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Nice reuse of old growth timber. I like the use of Pine and Walnut!!!!!!!
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."