A question of a DC choise
Which of these would you buy

1. Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-HP-Cyc...aign=zPage

2. Clear Vue CV1800 http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/cv1800-s...lters.html

The Clear Vue will need a lot of add on's to total of $2400 but the grizzly is $2550 and just needs an hose with reducers. Also the Grizzly has Air suction capacity: 2184 CFM @ 1.9" SP and Maximum static pressure: 14.0" with •Impeller: 16" steel radial fin and the Clear Vue has 1,442 CFM with Impeller: 15”

Thank you for any advise.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin,

I have used an Oneida Super Dust Gorilla with a 35 gallon drum for better than 10 years and love it. At just over $2,000 it is cheaper than the ones you are looking at, it has a smaller footprint, and a HEPA filte. They used to be manufactured in the US, I don't know if that is still the case.

A wall mount takes up a lot less space than one of those support systems.
Macky

The wheel of Life is like a toilet-paper roll, the closer to the end you get, the faster it goes around.

Those are both fairly large machines with quite a high air volume. Do you need that much? I would think those would be used in commercial shops with more than one piece of equipment running at one time.

While I like the fact that the clear view is American made and you can see the dust swirling through it, the Griz is a much more integrated package and would probably get my vote. As it is, I got a used Oneida for about 500 several years ago so finding something for less money would also be an option if you have the time.
I have the Grizzly G0441 3hp for 11 years now. great collection with a cyclone. the 5 should be even better. the best thing I did for it was put a 8" main trunk across the ceiling, center of my shop and make 6" drops to my main machines. most had 4". so I made 6" on the planer, 2 table saws and jointer, only have four 4" drops for the smaller machines on wheels or portable. like bandsaws, shaper, sanders, moulder, etc. also have a gate on every drop
you want to keep as much air flowing as possible by eliminating 4" ports.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Arlin,

Just remember that a 5hp will require a higher amperage than a 20 amp 220 service will provide- (this was my reason for my plans steppinig down to a 3hp instead of a 5)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Lawrence
Shazam!! You could be right!!!!!!!
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/slideshow/portfolio?sort=6
Twin

I want one like this so when we get to rent a building I will take it over there, but we need one now.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Do you have a link to the Oneida please

Lawrence Thank you for the idea it is good info but I have 220 30amp in the garage already for the other machines.

Glad times are good for you Arlin. All the best.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Arlin Eastman said:

Do you have a link to the Oneida please

Arlin,

Here is the link . Watch the price, they charge extra for the mounting system aND the shavings drum. When I bought mine, it was under $1,000, times have changed.

No matter which one you choose, I would stay with the 3 hp models, I run my whole 28'×32' on mine. I have 3 legs and am able to have two ports open at any time, as long as they are not on the same leg. My ts is on a separate leg and the gate is always open; the rest of my stuff is on the other 2 legs.
Macky

The wheel of Life is like a toilet-paper roll, the closer to the end you get, the faster it goes around.