Why no inexpensive screw air compressors?
I found a 5hp single phase screw compressor that puts out 16.4CFM @ 175 psi
But the price is $5000

Is the technology of screw compression scalable enough to make 3hp that puts out enough air for most home shops?

If so why has HF not started selling a Chinese made one for $800?

Duke
The machining tolerances have to be basically perfect as anything just a hare off will either wear the screws quickly or reduce efficiency.

That said screw compressors are an extremely old technology and with the accuracy of cnc machining and low cost of it I wonder why there aren't more choices.

Most likely because oilless compressors and oil type are dirt cheap and fast to produce.
Quincy Compressors now assembles some of their stuff in China. A 5HP 16.6 CFM @ 145 psi Quincy Screw Compressor is around $3900.

Most screw compressors are rated for continuous duty cycle heavy duty manufacturing type environment use. Nobody in that kind of business wants a machine that isn't reliable.

But, to answer your question, yes, the Chinese already make them. Success Engine is one such company. A 4HP version I saw going for $3000.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

Most screw compressors are rated for continuous duty cycle heavy duty manufacturing type environment use. Nobody in that kind of business wants a machine that isn't reliable.

A friend installled 2 screw units in their milking parlor...piston units wouldn't hold up. 14k later and 10k+ hours they still have no problems.

Ed
I suspected that it was largely due to the low price of reciprocating compressors and their duty cycle is fine for the vast majority of the people.

As already mentioned, with CNC increasing repeatability in manufacturing I'm surprised that nobody has brought a low cost unit to the market.

Duke
Each individual would have a different definition of low cost,even if there was one it still would cost more than the average compressor.Can you imagine what parts would cost(there's alot of parts),and to find someone that knows how to work on them.I don't see if happening-----Carroll
Most Rotary Screws are made in China now.. The more expensive ones are made in Italy or Germany ..

The worst thing you can do to a Rotary Screw Compressor is not run it . The start up on a new one is actually a process which includes lubrication. So some hobby shop guy running it 3 times a month isn't ideal.

Lubrication is key.. The tolerances of the actual screw are such that a film of oil actually keeps the screw air tight.. drying it out is bad news..

If they're run daily.. they never dry out.. and the screw never gets worn..

For a hobby shop, Rotary Vane is a better choice ( IMO ) .. but the vane's are key.. low quality = low life span. Gardner Denver and Mattei make them .. if some new composite is one day available for vanes .. the price could drop.

A decent Rotary Screw will run 40,000 hours.. But not one hour at a time.. Its the wrong technology for a hobby shop..
For the shop, I'd want a quiet compressor.
California Air Tools makes some inexpensive compressors and I just may buy one.

$189 on Amazon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZWqHndbkVI

If you can afford it, this one would be all you need.