Suggest wood for threshold
Hard maple or pecan, preferably quarter-sawn. Hickory is a little more open-pored than pecan but also wouldn't be bad quarter-sawn. Locust would be plenty hard enough by the numbers.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I've used IPE for this in the past with good results.
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
Quarter sawn white oak with a clear finish. Its a bathroom...there will be water. NOT RED OAK
Thought I'd follow up on this thread now that the threshold is done. I ended up going with curly hard maple, just because it matches everything else best (maple vanity and curly maple mirror frame that I'm working on). I'm pretty happy with the result.

Since the carpet side is a bit lower than the tile, I had asked the carpet repair company (they were coming to patch the carpet where I removed walls during the remodel) about installing a 3/8" ramp under the carpet to lift it a bit. They recommended against that (although they may just not have wanted to deal with it) because they thought the track strips wouldn't attach correctly. I was fine with the fit without the ramp, so I didn't push it.

I beveled the carpet side (20° bevel) decently heavily due to the lower carpet. I put a small matching bevel on the tile side.

Thanks for the help/thought/suggestions!

Tyler

Attached Files Image(s)

I agree with Alandy. Hard maple meets all the criteria. My personal preference would lean towards a transitional piece not attracting any attention. Sometimes less is more and you already have the tile and carpet there. Now, a third medium will be used along side these too. No reason to make this a focal point or "too busy"--it's a thin "T" piece. I made my own to transition between tile and Brazilian cherry and the obvious choice was of course BC. I made mine as small and thin as possible for an attempted seamless transition.

The honey locust I've used is an array of colors. Pinks, red, yellows, creams. Hard as heck though but a utility wood in my mind. I would find a wood that blends as well as possible with both the carpet and tile. I wouldn't rule out a metal transition piece either.

I would vote for either hickory or hard maple.  Both are tough and light colored.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
beech?

Personally I would have made the threshold level with the tile and therefore reduced the height above the carpet.  But again, individual choice,.