Where to get brass screws?
Where do you men buy your brass screws? If I ever progress to the point where I make an actual nice piece of furniture, I would like to use slotted brass screws instead of the standard drywall screws I use otherwise.

Is there a standard size I should look at getting a stash of to start a set? I assume they are cheaper in small bulks.

Thanks fellas.
Try one of the boat-building supply houses. Jamestown Distributors is a good one. They have quality you can't get at a hardware store today.
+1 Jamestown Distributors. Pre install the hardware with steel screws to cut the threads or you risk breaking the brass screws especially in hard woods.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
LIL. Don't forget to clock the screws!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Brass screws are nice where the screw will show; otherwise, there is no reason to use them for furniture applications. Square or torx drive steel screws are superior in every way, stainless steel if corrosion is a concern. GRK torx drive are my favorite these days.

You can buy nearly anything you want at McMaster Carr. McFeely's has an extensive selection of screws, too.

John
I've been happy with the ones I've gotten from Lee Valley.
I get mine at Ace Hardware. Use a steel screw to cut the threads, then install the brass screw. It doesn't take much to cam the heads or worse yet, shear the screw.
McFeeleys, LV, a few from local ACE or Tractor Supply.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I've switched to silicon bronze screws. Almost the same look and less problems.
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
Strokes77 said:

Where do you men buy your brass screws? If I ever progress to the point where I make an actual nice piece of furniture, I would like to use slotted brass screws instead of the standard drywall screws I use otherwise.

I'm a bit curious. The only place I would ever use brass screws is for the installation of hardware, which is obviously not a place where one would typically use drywall screws. For things like, say, pocket screws to hold tabletops in place, I would simply use slotted steel screws. What exactly are you planning to do with the brass screws?
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home