Where can I find a planer thickness gauge like this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TeTVEmshHA

Woodpeckers retired it as a one-time tool. To me, it makes so much sense and a lot easier to use than a caliper gauge. Seems to me that this would be a very common and easily available tool everywhere, but I can't seem to find anything like it. I've looked on ebay. Probably everyone who has one will not part with it.

If you know where I could find one or something like it, I'd appreciate hearing back. Thanks.
I didn't see this when it came out but I wouldn't have been too interested in it because I never seem to be planning anything to a "standard" thickness. I am usually trying to get one board the same thickness as another, whatever their true thickness is. That said, if you can't find one of the originals, it would seem easy enough to make with a dado head and table saw on one of those Saturday afternoons when you want to get some shop time in. Ken
Yes, that's my fall-back. What would you make it out of? The original is phenolic resin; I would probably use MDF or maybe corian.
General makes a stamped aluminum one found in the big box stores.
Bought one, but find it useless since it will only tell me when I go too far and the piece is too thin. I need something that will tell me when I get close to finished size, this will not.
Mike
Semper Audere!
I just use blocks of wood the right thickness and compare real quick by placing a block next to the piece. Much quicker and I can tell when I'm close.
I find a nice set of open end wrenches accomplishes the same thing. I do agree however that finding exact thickness isn't typically as important as making sure all like pieces are the same thickness.
A pair of cheap vernier calipers (dial type) works for me. They are in my shop apron 100% of the time.

John
Drop down a few floors to Swap n Sell, and start a thread with the title WTB Woodpeckers one time planer thickness gauge.

Someone probably has one they aren't in love with, happens here all the time.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Ray,

Infinity Tools sells a circular unit sort of like that to go with their Dadonator.

It is notched from 1/4" to 13/16" IIRC and is designed to check thickness for setting up the dado stack.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
If an alternative will do. I bought these for setting router bit height, but I use them all the time for measuring anything Never gave it a thought to using them for a thickness gauge, but they do have the advantage of the most accurate indicator in the shop. With the type of gauge that goes over the stock if it fits it might give you the idea you are good, while actually being quite a bit sloppy. That is why you need to register a caliper against something, rather than just freehand it. With a gauge like the Kreg you abut the stock to it, and use your fingertip to tell you if it is proud, shallow, or dead nutz. Your fingetip being the most accurate gauge in your shop
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW