My version of the age old Taper Jig

It's scratch built but I followed plenty of existing examples on google.

You can use it on the left or right of the blade as each side is trimmed flush. 1/4" T track for the taper rail and for the two clamp bars. The bars are home built out of 1/4" bar steel. The end grab is replaceable if it gets sawn through. The black paint is for vanity reasons as the jig will spend far more time as a wall decoration then being used.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Oh, in case you've always wondered, T Track can be held in a dado just fine with only yellow glue... no screws... as long as you buy the track with the tiny grip groves on the side. Just apply liberal glue and clamp the track in place and let it dry for a few days just to be sure. The hardened glue grips the wood and fills the groves in the metal and it wont come apart. I tested a sample to destruction. This allowed me to place a 3/8" track in a piece of 1/2" base Baltic birch plywood without screws or fasteners as I wanted to keep the jig base as thin as possible.
Very nice!

Still not sure about the yellow glue, but since you aren't putting much stress on the joint in the "bad" direction, it seems you wouldn't need as much strength as on a structural joint. I'd think that CA glue would work, but epoxy would be the glue of choice.

There's a jig I'm considering building and it will have t-track as well. Knowing that 3/8" works in 1/2" ply is more than a little useful.

Blaine
My thoughts were that even at its worst the hard yellow glue would still form a mechanical lock with the grooves in the side of the T track. But, I had to destroy the plywood trying to pry the track out of the test sample I made. I think the key is to let the glue set up for a lot longer then normal. I left it set a half week before continuing on each stage.
Blaine said:

Knowing that 3/8" works in 1/2" ply is more than a little useful.

Blaine

My thoughts exactly.

Nice jig! I like the simplicity and versatility of it.
Benny

Going on 21 months and probably a dozen dozen tapers cut and the jig is still solid as a rock. No sign of the T track loosening in the wooden grove. Fully confident in the glue only attachment.
Nicely done!
Yes
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(04-23-2016, 09:48 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: Oh, in case you've always wondered, T Track can be held in a dado just fine with only yellow glue... no screws... as long as you buy the track with the tiny grip groves on the side.   Just apply liberal glue and clamp the track in place and let it dry for a few days just to be sure.  The hardened glue grips the wood and fills the groves in the metal and it wont come apart.  I tested a sample to destruction.   This allowed me to place a 3/8" track in a piece of 1/2" base Baltic birch plywood without screws or fasteners as I wanted to keep the jig base as thin as possible.

Looking to make one myself, Looks really good!