keyless chuck
Anyone had any experience replacing the keyless chuck on an older >15 yr DeWalt cordless drill? The newer ones show a slot screw down in the center presumably into the shaft that needs to be removed. Mine looks like a pin or rivet with no visible purchase.
Bill
We just replaced one on a cordless drill at work, huge pain in the a**. The new chuck didn't work very well, I think it had to do with the internal gears and removing the old one. Others may be more helpful.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Probably a torx screw, but there is a screw.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Piece of cake. I followed this when i replaced one on a Milwaukee drill...I changed from keyless to keyed.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Possibly reverse threaded...I replaced a bad keyed chuck with a keyless version a number of years ago. Seemed to me that was the case.
brianwelch said:

Possibly reverse threaded...I replaced a bad keyed chuck with a keyless version a number of years ago. Seemed to me that was the case.

Yup. Every one I have replaced has a lefthanded screw. Even after you get the screw out its a bear to get the chuck off.
Yes, reverse threaded. Always. After the screw is out, chuck up the small end of a large allen key. Whack it with a hammer to spin off the chuck. Chuck spins off right handed.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Thanks for all the responses but my drill must be an earlier model than what you folks have described. I looked real hard and all I see is something round on the face of the shaft with a much smaller dot in the middle. No slot or hex. The dot is recessed and will accept a very small <1/8” probe. And given some remarks about the new chuck not fitting all that well, I’ll start shopping for a new one, (or two)! I am warming up the DW’s drill and impact duo. Thanks again.
Bill
Sounds like it might be one of their drills with a riveted on chuck. They would make the shaft longer and peen over the end. I have a drill like that and the one I had wasn't worth replacing the chuck on.