Rotted fence posts....repairable?
I've got a few peeler core fence posts that have rotten tops...just in the center... that I'd like to "repair" if I can.

Why?

the posts are along a 300' run, and instead of stapling the coated wires to the posts, the previous owner ran a 3/16-1/4" wire through the middle of them...5 or 6 times. So I would have to undo somewhere between 1500-1800 feet of wire though posts every 8'. Its a major pain in the arse.

On top of the posts are more peeler cores running horizontally, with notches cut in them where they're secured to the upright posts.

with the tops of some of the posts top centers rottened out, the horizontal posts aren't staying put very well.

I figure I'll proly only buy myself 4-5 more years, but if its not too difficult it'll be worth it. These posts are the old creosote coated ones, not the current pressure treated ones.

fence looks something like:

but the wires run through the middle of each post not on the outside.

can I dig out the rotten part and put some sort of wood filler or epoxy in there? and have the bolts that hold the horizontal members grab and hold?

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Can you cut the posts apart with a sawzall to free it from the wire?
Drive new posts where they belong, beside the wire.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Then the horizontal members wouldn't work....or I'm not understanding what you mean.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Using your high skills with the chain saw to make it go quicker, cut down where the rot is gone, then notch the post and add a notched piece as thus;

Cap the top to keep rain out, then set the horizontal rail.

Get some big deck screws or whatever to fasten it.
High skills with a chain saw.....

Mark

I thought about doing something like that, but then I'd end up with black/brown posts with greenish tops.

Mark

meackerman said:

I thought about doing something like that, but then I'd end up with black/brown posts with greenish tops.

Stylish.
Maybe chisel out the rot and fill cavity with automotive fiberglass. It would be waterproof and would add strength.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
meackerman said:

Add copper flashing to cover it. Copper always looks rich and will protect the tops from rot.

If you replace the posts then angle cut the tops so that water does not accumulate.

If you rip the posts in half you can cut grooves for the wires with a back saw and then screw and glue it back together (using Gorilla glue).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.