Put together a knife
I bought a few knife kits from woodcraft awhile back and finally got around to getting one together. I made one goof with not paying attention to the supplied hardware and made the scales too thin, so I couldn't use the screws. I had already drilled all the holes, so I just filled them with epoxy colored with charcoal, when I glued the scales on. The wood is cocobolo and I am finishing it with tung oil. It is the first time I've used this and didn't realize how long the recoat and curing times were. What is the best way to speed that up? It is pure tung oil and has been here since I've lived here (the previous home owner was also a woodworker). It feels very comfortable in the hand and I'm pretty happy with my first attempt and scales/grips.

Thanks for looking, Bob
Wow, beautiful wood and beautiful job on the scales.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Nice. A fun project to do. I made one from a kit last summer. A friend had given me a small piece of rosewood that was just large enough to make the handles. Turned out well. As a matter of fact I just used it to slice a lime. Cheers.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
High marks for placement of that particular piece of wood. With the sapwood tailing off the end of it, looks like you planned it

"It feels very comfortable in the hand"

Can't ask for more than that.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Nice
You say it's comfortable in hand. Well, it's really hard to tell from here.
Send it on down and I'll see if it's true.

Great scales.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Thanks guys and I surprisingly did plan the tapering off of the lighter colored wood and even more surprisingly was able to pull it off. I have two more of these kits and two larger style tanto blades to do, so I'm looking forward to making those, after the success of this one.

Bob
You said you were finishing it/them with pure tung oil. Don't..that stuff takes a long time to dry - days and days between coats. And there's no compelling benefit unless you plan to drink it. Or you love the smell (guilty).

Buy polymerized tung oil or add pure tung oil to something else like a varnish to make a custom blend.

If you must use pure tung oil, the CW is that you can speed up the drying time by heating it up, e.g friction polishing.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Bought 5 of those kits for my grandsons. I used the provided screws...I like your scales a lot better. The screws are so long the handle ends up much thicker. Too thick.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
MKepke said:

You said you were finishing it/them with pure tung oil. Don't..that stuff takes a long time to dry - days and days between coats. And there's no compelling benefit unless you plan to drink it. Or you love the smell (guilty).

Buy polymerized tung oil or add pure tung oil to something else like a varnish to make a custom blend.

If you must use pure tung oil, the CW is that you can speed up the drying time by heating it up, e.g friction polishing.

-Mark

I used TO because I had it and it was the first recommended finish for knife scales I found. I am definetly going to blend it next time, but I do like it and it is easy to use.

Bob