Indoor Swing Build
This wooden indoor swing adds a bit of fun to a casual sitting room. So far everyone in our house has had a turn on the new addition to our rec room

The wood I chose for this project was cherry, that was reclaimed from some old furniture, maple that I had from another project and some bloodwood for a splash of color. I love the way bloodwood looks, but it is an extremely hard wood to work with. It is very dense and dulls blades and bits fairly quickly. AKA bloodwood sucks.

Each piece of lumber was planed down to 3/4" thick, by running it though my thickness planer.

Then each board is ripped cut to 3 1/2" wide

and cross cut to 12" in length.

I played with the layout on these boards for some time, but finally came up with a pattern I liked. Now the total width of the swing will be about 25" and it will measure 12" deep. It is comfortable for all members of the family and since the boards are quite wide there is no "pinching" effect.

I bored out a 1/2" hole for the rope to pass through. This leaves 1/4" walls and is more that secure for the swing.

In an effort to further save everyone butt from getting pinched, I rounded over all the edges with a 1/8" round over bit in my router table.

Last thing to do was a few coats of spray lacquer for protection. I do love the look of bloodwood.

The rope I chose was 1/2 braided rope rated for a 500lb load. It seemed more than up to the task at hand.

I used a piece of duct tape wrapped around the end to act as my pull for threading the rope. I had toyed with the idea of adding spacers between each plank but think I'm much happier with the solid look.

After all the planks were assembled, I just needed a way to secure the rope to the ceiling.

I decided on a back splice. This would end up making my rope into a solid loop. The idea is simple enough, braid one end of the rope back into the other end.

The process was fairly simple after I found a video online demonstrating the technique. I've been told 3-5 weaves is more than sufficient.

I went with 7 as I believe in overkill. The rope splice is quite strong and I have no worries about it coming loose.

For hanging, I have exposed rafters in my glassed in patio room. I bought heavy duty eye bolts and quick links. The eye bolts are rated for 350lbs and the quick links are rated for over 1700lbs. Since each side is only holding up half the load this seems more than sufficient for me.

I'm sure there are better methods, and I might have to explore them in the future. As for right now it seems strong and my swing is holding up well.

Thank for looking! My kids have been fighting over who gets to swing next. Sigh, I suppose I can take that as a compliment....
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
That's cool.
I'd fall asleep and fall out of it though. Needs a back.
I don't think I have ever heard of an indoor swing. Your idea or did you see it some where else?

I can see the kids loving it. The little girl next door to me would be in it all the time. She loves to swing even if it is freezing.
Looks like a lot of fun. I have one boy that would be in that thing all day long. I just need some exposed rafters.
iublue said:

I don't think I have ever heard of an indoor swing. Your idea or did you see it some where else?

I can see the kids loving it. The little girl next door to me would be in it all the time. She loves to swing even if it is freezing.

My wife found it on Pinterest, and wanted one. I'd never heard of it, but if she's happy....
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
iublue said:

My grandsons would be trying to launch themselves off of it and onto the couch. Once they mastered that, they would try to go over the couch.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Bill Wilson said:

[blockquote]iublue said:

My grandsons would be trying to launch themselves off of it and onto the couch. Once they mastered that, they would try to go over the couch.

[/blockquote]

That is twisted rope, not braided. Still

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Excellent write up. I do appreciate the pictures.

Fail on the hangers though. That's not an eye bolt. That's an eye screw. Watch them carefully. The swing will cause the eye screws to "wiggle" slightly. Overtime this will oversize the hole and make the bite from the threads weaker. Don't have an much better solution in mind since you have exposed rafters though.
Nice.
I'd give some thought to mounting with a thru-bolt, rather than a lag screw.
(and make sure your rafters have structural support and aren't just there for show :-)

Matt
Very nice documentation.

Interesting idea but not for me.
chris