LOML wanted to remove the wallpaper
and paint the hall bath walls.

Yeah, most of you know the next part.

Walls around the tub/along the walls are tiled. 4" white square 1965 tiles.

Upshot---in the process of tearing out all the sheetrock on the walls. All new sheetrock. Keeping the floor and the new(2 year old) toilet.

Gonna install a new vanity and lose the old medicine cab(sliding mirror doors) for a mirror on the wall.

Surround for the tub(stud mounted) and paint new walls.

Did find a bit of water damage above the tub, tub seldom gets used. Probably put in sliding doors for the tub.

I got myself in this one---told her hassling with the wallpaper was gonna be a PITA and suspected the damage behind the tile. Best do it right.
Yeah, thisun's on you. But...you are doing it right, so +1 for the man card.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
WxMan said:

Yeah, thisun's on you. But...you are doing it right, so +1 for the man card.

I concur, this won't be any more effort than repairing all that drywall and the outcome will be much better.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
Reminds me of my first home improvement project as a newlywed...32 years ago.

Our first home was a 1200 sq ft 3BR 1BA house built on a slab. The bathtub had a white 4" square tile surround. Four of the tiles under the soap dish on the side were "squishy"; easily pushed with a little pressure. All I wanted to do was fix those four tiles.

One thing led to another and soon I had a full bathroom makeover on my hands, complete with new tub faucet, tile, shower head, vanity and sink. And there were no water shutoffs in that bathroom. Only the main coming into the house. Was working the bathtub faucet when I kinked the copper supply line to the tub.

This was at 8 p.m. on a Wednesday evening,and water was shutoff to the whole house.

The closest thing to a big box we had in that day was a 5 mile drive, and they closed at 9. I was very fortunate to find an old guy working the plumbing section and he bailed me out.

Ain't skeered.

I can now.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Oh, I feel for ya. Did that last fall, most of it went well. Stripped the WP off with no problems, put primer on, then painted. Paint is running now (Bear from HD), turns out that there's some incompatibility between the paint and the primer, have to strip it and redo. Got a special primer from Sherwin Williams.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
Why is it so many projects like that are what I call "We-Jobs?" LOML says "Honey, here's what we need to do." The correct spelling of "We" always turns out to be "ME."
I feel for you.
Bill