Water-based vs Oil-based polyurethane -- any durability experience?
I've googled it but everything i found seemed to be years old.

Can anybody tell how they compare? I've used some Polycrylic recently and really liked the quick drying time and easy clean-up.

I know about the color difference but for some upcoming projects that may not make a difference as much as the drying time.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I use mostly WB finishes now that I spray in my basement. I did a lot of testing when I started using them about 5 years ago to see how they compared to OB polyurethane. Most of my experience is with GF's products. I've posted those results several times but here's a snapshot:

EnduroVar is as chemically durable as most any oil based varnish, polyurethane or otherwise. It is harder to spray than HP Poly or Clear Poly, but brushes beautifully. It has a slight amber tint, but is still lighter than OB varnishes. Supposedly it ages over time like an OB varnish, but I haven't seen it yet in the 4 years I've been using it. It can get cloudy if you apply too many coats. It's not KCMA rated but has the highest chemical durability of any WB product I've used and is on par with Arm-R-Seal.

Enduro Clear Poly is more abrasion resistant than typical OB varnishes, by far. Spray only product. It is dead clear and stays that way. KCMA rated. It's my overall favorite GF product.

GF's High Perf. Poly is very clear and very hard, but not as chemically durable or heat resistant as the above two products nor typical OB varnishes. However, it sprays and brushes beautifully. It has a dual UV package that prevents it and the wood underneath from light aging. It's one of my favorite products except for kitchen/bath projects.

MinWax Polycrylic is OK, but not in the league of the GF products. It's not nearly as hard and my limited testing showed it wasn't as chemically durable as the best GF products so I never use it. However, it sprays great and goes on well with a foam brush, too.

Arm-R-Seal - Oil based polyurethane is my benchmark product for a hand applied, traditional looking product. Very high chemical and heat durability and abrasion resistance.

As an aside, GF's oil based Urethane Topcoat has very low chemical durability and heat resistance. Even water will damage it after a few days.

All of the WB products above dry in less than 1 hour and can be scuff sanded and recoated in 2 hours. They fully cure in about 7 days. You can finish a project in a day. Gotta love that.

John
Thanks. That's what I was wondering about.

Sounds like I need to try some General Finish products, but the nearest dealer is in Louisville, an hour away.

Maybe if I plan ahead I can get it delivered.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
You can order any (I think) GF product from Homestead Finishing or Woodworker's Hardware. WWH has a pretty good website, too, and their prices are generally lower than HF. Rockler and Amazon also carry some GF products.

I forgot to mention, my comments are based on using quite a few gallons of each product. From a set of kitchen doors and drawer fronts, to a very large built in cabinet, to 6 or 8 interior man doors, to at least a couple dozen other cabinets, dressers, vanities, etc. Most were sprayed with a gravity feed HVLP conversion gun. More recently I've moved up to a higher quality, air assisted HVLP conversion gun. All of the products sprayed with acceptable results with the gravity feed gun; they spray beautifully with the air assisted gun, straight from the can.

John
I haven't done the testing that John has but my experiences are similar. I've also had very good luck with Crystalac. Frankly with very few exceptions there is no place for oil based finishes.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
What is the application? Kitchen cabinets? Work table? What chemicals will it be exposed to? What abrasives?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.