Starting to dislike hanging replacement doors
I tried very hard to copy the original doors but seems that every one has a little different quirk, and not being able to get it done without interruption has led to some problems

Cut the last one's hinge pockets too deep, made spacers but now door is binding.

Gonna take a break and try again

Of course, if I wasn't trying to do it by myself it might be easier
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Bevel the hinge side...slabs are square edged! Hang the door, mark the center of the strike plate and then bore lockset prep.

You'll get it...by the last one!

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
The bevel goes on the latch side. Never seen anyone bevel the hinge side as it won't accomplish anything. 3* is typical.

I have had to do way to many doors for people and I hate doing them anymore.... especially solid core as they are heavy.
prehung is easier unless you have fancy trim
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

If he bought slabs, neither side is beveled, both will be square edged. Hanging a new door on an old frame can only benefit from beveling the hinge side first. In theory they should have to be trimmed to fit the opening anyway.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
woodhead said:

If he bought slabs, neither side is beveled, both will be square edged. Hanging a new door on an old frame can only benefit from beveling the hinge side first. In theory they should have to be trimmed to fit the opening anyway.

Al

I have never ever ever seen or heard of a door being beveled on the hinge side. It doesn't accomplish anything. What is your reasoning for doing so?
Have never beveled the hinge side. Makes no sense, since the hinges have to close parallel.

Have beveled the latch side on the edge first to reach the jamb for a really tight fit.
Bevel the hinge side slightly and you will be loving life. It will allow for a jamb that might be slightly out of square with the face of the door opening so the hinges won't bind.

All pre-hung doors I've ever installed have been beveled on the hinge side also.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
AlanBienlein said:

Bevel the hinge side slightly and you will be loving life. It will allow for a jamb that might be slightly out of square with the face of the door opening so the hinges won't bind.

All pre-hung doors I've ever installed have been beveled on the hinge side also.

Never seen it and never seen a need for it. Though it's a good idea for a way out of whack frame.

Never seen a pre hung with a tapered hinge side and in fact more st don't even taper the latch side. They just square them off slightly smaller. Cheaper production costs.
Robert Adams said:

[blockquote]woodhead said:

Al

I have never ever ever seen or heard of a door being beveled on the hinge side. It doesn't accomplish anything. What is your reasoning for doing so?

[/blockquote]

All of the wood doors in my house are beveled both sides. Commercial wood doors come beveled both sides. The bevel eliminates binding (so no packing door hinges). How long would it take to bevel a door with a power plane...less than one minute. You have to set up the door to rout the hinges anyway.

Any time I take something new and install it on something existing, I try to eliminate any issues up front. That's what I was taught.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!