Home made chain Mortiser idea?
I have seen the chain mortiser that looks like a gang of several chainsaws that plunge.

HF has their electric chainsaw on sale for $45, I am thinking 3-4 of those bars ganged together on an 80/20 base would work.

I don't really need a chain Mortiser, but it sounds like a workable idea if someone needed one.

Duke
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-7104L-Amp-C...B0002HC2VQ
All the chain mortisers I've used were single chains. Where did you see a multiple ganged chain mortiser?
The chain saws could be mounted on a bench top hollow chisel mortiser, in order to enable one to plunge the saws into the wood. The saws and the wood need to be held securely in place to avoid launching ho-made wooden cruise missiles at the wife's car.

It would be fast. Fast at doing what, I don't know, but it sure would be fast.
WilliamHodge said:

The chain saws could be mounted on a bench top hollow chisel mortiser ...

How about a Radial Arm Chain Saw Mortiser?

Timber Jig
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Cecil said:

[blockquote]WilliamHodge said:

The chain saws could be mounted on a bench top hollow chisel mortiser ...

How about a Radial Arm Chain Saw Mortiser?

Timber Jig

[/blockquote]

That is awesome if you were doing a bunch of timber framing, that would be a valuable piece of gear.

Just the 80/20 in that rig would probably cost about as much as the $1600 portable chain Mortiser.

Duke
Duke

Woodworker Supply sells a chain mortiser attachment for a RAS for ~$270.

I have considered ordering one.
Cecil said:

Duke

Whoa, that looks fun! Thanks for pointing it out; I've never seen that before.
The whole idea behind the Makita mortiser is being able to move it to the 12"x12"x30', I can not image the difficulty in moving the beam of those dimensions to a workstation. And if you were to be able to move a timber of those dimensions and weight, I'm thinking the price for an actual Makita to be one of the cheapest pieces of equipment in your 'stable'.....

Scott (I don't own a crane) B
I do have unlisted larger stock not listed on the website. We are always making new blanks, you should stop and take a look!
slabsblanksandboards
cvillewood said:

[blockquote]Cecil said:

Duke

Whoa, that looks fun! Thanks for pointing it out; I've never seen that before.

[/blockquote]

Like Scott said, a 12x12x30 is heavy and the Makita makes more sense. However, I would be more interested in back yard stuff, like a pavilion, with 6x6xmuch shorter than 30'. I am sure the Makita would be faster than the RAS attachment. However, for the price, for a couple of projects only, the RAS attachment may work. Like I said, I am tempted, but have not jumped yet.