Outside speakers wired to cd/boom box
I have built a Tiki Hut in my backyard and I am wanting to be able to play some animal sounds in the yard surrounding it. I found a couple of outdoor speakers on Amazon and I have a couple of inexpensive cd/boom boxes that my kids had when they were young. I am wondering if there is a way I could hook speakers to one of these boxes. I see that there is a hole for an earphone. As you may have guessed I know little about stereo and am not interested in loud music. Thanks.
http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-STEREO-MINI-...B00H0KANNC
Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope. Maya Angelou
The wire above will do the trick, but the question is will there be enough power through the earplug out to drive the speakers.

Are you going to run permanent wires to the speakers? If so and the boomboxes are inside you could use an older stereo instead and have plenty of power.

Or hack into the boomboxes and take the wires from the speakers and splice them to the exterior speakers.

Lots of options!!

"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
can I leave the wires connected to the existing speakers and join the new speakers in parallel?
don't expect good/loud sound from the speakers but it will work. Don't push it or you might burn up the radio (or house) Your best bet would be to get a small DAC and hook the walkman/radio to that, then out to the speakers.
comfun1 said:

can I leave the wires connected to the existing speakers and join the new speakers in parallel?

That will lower the overall impedance on each channel, and may more easily overload the amplifier. Keep the volume low. Or try wiring them in series.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
As I said, I know next to nothing about music or stereo systems and I have been reading everyone's comments and suggestions. I have been trying to learn more through the internet. It looks like I could buy something called an mp3 player and some blue tooth speakers and this would work for me and connect wirelessly as well. It looks like for $100 I could get the mp3 player and speakers. Does this seem right? Would this be an easier solution?
LIL
Something simple like this will do all you need and convert your headphone out to an acceptable volume...

https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-1...t--310-308

currently out of stock. I have its big brother with a subwoofer out on my home computer.

This one would be cheaper, but you need a RCA wye to earphone cable.

https://www.parts-express.com/kinter-ma-...w--310-370

Note also most of these require power supplies. Typical 12V, center positive. You probably have one laying around.

Also, also, the two amps above and many others have usb power out so you can use your ipod instead of the boom box.

Browse this link for the whole category.

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/home-a...ifiers/106
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Follow-up...

How about this one. It includes a SD card slot so you could just put the music on a card. Cheap too.

https://www.parts-express.com/kinter-a7-...-mp3-2--310-380

Still need a power supply.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I would like to apologize to Comfun for my useless and snarky reply. I thought it was a post to troll, and it obviously wasn't. I probably read to many forums and failed to realize that this community just doesn't stoop to that level.

I read your original post and this is what my brain saw.
"I want to connect speakers to a device that already has speakers"

As others have said you will not be able to run an unpowered speaker with the wire adapter that I linked. There are some good suggestions, but if I were just looking for ambient sounds, just simply using the boombox by itself would be adequate for me. I personally just use the devices I already own (phones, kindles) with powered bluetooth enabled speakers and either the music stored on them, or Pandora and Spotify which are (mostly) free music streaming programs. I have a dollar store boombox for the infrequent times I want to listen to a physical CD.

Again I would like to apologize for my useless reply and the tone that it carried.
Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope. Maya Angelou