Bath redo progress
New tub surround installed. All new sheet rock installed and first mud/tape completed.

Ran into something I never had experienced with normal spruce(whatever) two by fours. House built in 1965, has normal stick built walls, 2x4(actual 3&1/3 by 1&1/2) on 16" ,centers.

1&5/16 regular sheet rock screws would not seat with either the cordless DeWalt 20v or the Milwaukee corded drywall screw gun. Had to back out and redo. Wound up getting 1&1/4" screws.

I've done work on houses with white oak actual 2x4 studs---like working with stone. But never normal 2x4's this hard.

Haven't done sheet rock in several years. Remember it used to be easier .

Gonna have to do my first level 4 mudding job, gonna use gloss white on the upper section of the walls. Wainscoting on the lower section.

Deadline is 13 May. Finish mudding, caulk around surround, prime, paint, install new vanity, install grab bar for tub, new towel bars and the vanity mirror.

Then the wainscoting. Final job is washing the vent fan cover.
Maybe the 2 x 4's were yellow pine?

John
The ceiling joists in my basement are 3" x 8" and were installed when the house was built in 1953. I cannot drive drywall screws into it (they snap off). And deck screws won't drive either (the bits lift from the screw heads).

I don't know what species it is but it is rock-hard. If I want to drive a screw in these rafters I have to pre-drill.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Our house was built in 1960 but they used lumber from an older house for much of the construction. I think it's Doug fir going by all the small splinters I get in my hands from it but may be yellow pine as it kind of smells like it when it burns a bit.. It has turned a dark brown from age. It's hard as a rock. I have a hard time running 3" screws in with my big impact driver. Drilling holes is a challenge as bits will burn up before half way through.

Makes me enjoy newer houses with modern SPF studs. Light easy to cut a drill lumber sure is nice to work with but that old lumber was super strong. A 2x4 from back then is the equivalent of a 2x6 today. Oh and also the nice smooth planed surfaces of modern lumber is much easier on the hands than the old rough cut stuff.

Oh and watch those modern 2x4s as well. I built a wall with them and wondered why the back side of the wall was so wavy... Come to find out when I measured the 2x4s they were 3 7/8" wide. So 2x4s do come in 2x4 sometimes today....
Sheet rock installed and taped. Shower/tub surround installed.

Primed with PVA primer. That sealed the sheetrock but was a lousy surface for red (accent) paint. Added a coat of BIN.

White gloss paint is on.

To do:
Paint the red accent areas.
Finish plumbing the vanity and install vanity.
Install towel and grab bars.
Install crown molding and make/install wainscoting dividers.

Grad party for youngest grandson Saturday. First three items will be done. Other two---well, time will tell.
I am in the middle of 3 baths, tile floor went into 2 last monday

Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

looks good. The floor in mine is the only thing left untouched.
Just about thing everything in mine has been touched I didn't replace the vanities but the pan and tubs are new along with counters and faucets. In the one place it has turned into a more involved renovation than planned. The same tile went here

This flooring went in Saturday against it

Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.