Guitar Display Cases - completed with pics
About 10 years ago, my father called and offered to buy me a piece of artwork that looked as if Picasso had sculpted a Gibson Les Paul guitar. I responded by saying i would rather have an actual guitar on the wall displayed as art. It took me a while, but the pictures below are what i had in mind.

The four cases shown are constructed out of two slabs of English Walnut. The sides and top/bottom of each case are pairs - book-matched copies of one another.

The construction is rather simple. The frame of English Walnut is simply rabbeted and pinned together using aluminum rod stock as the pins. The aluminum pins are about 2 inches long. The frame is attached to a backer board using A WHOLE LOT of kreg screws.
The backer is covered in a wine colored faux crocodile fabric.
The backer board is secured to the wall using a french cleat and an additional retaining screw.

Each case is covered with 1/4" sheet of acrylic. The acrylic is cut, edge routed and flame polished. It looks very nice.
Acryllic was chosen over glass due to the tremendous weight difference. Glare is a bit of an issue, but it was considered thoroughly before the decision was made to add doors. The acrylic is held in place by blum glass hinges with blumotion.

A 2" LED puck from Hafele is inlaid into the top and bottom frame members. The cords are run though the wall to a transformer in the cabinet below. They are activated by motion sensors located in the wall under Cases 1 and 4.

A name plate for each was burned onto clear Hemlock using my Laser.

The finish is a coat of Shellac for color followed by 3 coats of Crystalac. The picture above shows the crystalac still wet.

A shot in the dark to show the illumination:

Where they sit in the house. The pool table is a 1964 Brunswick Gold Crown restored in Chrysler Plum Crazy.

The guitars are (from left to right)
Jackson SLSMG - Nagano Japan
Tobias Classic 6 bass - Nashville, TN
Rickenbacker 4003S - Santa Anna, CA
Jackson Kevin Bond signature Rhoads V - Nagano, Japan

It took me a long time to reach this point. Other pieces and projects just took priority. It makes me very happy to see these finally come to life. I am satisfied with them.

-Wayne
Fabulous Wayne! Now that's a proper "Man Cave". When should we show up for the party?!?

Lonnie
Wayne,

The Royal Palace in Madrid has a room with five Stradivarius instruments on display. Your display puts theirs to shame. Their curator needs to get in touch with you and learn how to display instruments! Great job. They look fabulous.

Hank
Looks great. Flame polishing works great.

Remind whoever does the cleaning that infrequent cleaning of the plexi is preferred over frequent cleaning. Plexi will scratch rather easily.

An in-room hepa purifier will filter enough of the dust to eliminate any requirement to dust if the door is kept closed most of the time. I would add one anywhere there were collectibles.

See: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/air-p...-guide.htm
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.