Band saw sled/jig for round objects
Hey guys,

Show me your jig and/or fixtures to saw round objects, please. I need to make something to hold big round hunks of wood.

It's far easier for me to round up a tree trunk on the lathe and THEN slice off what I need, rather than slicing the log first, then working it on the lathe.

Aside from the dirt and junk on the bark, if there is some nail or metal object in the log, I would rather have my roughing gouge discover it, than the band saw blade.

So, I need to make a jig to hold a round turned log and safely send it through the bandsaw. Show me what you got, please.
So by "round" you mean "cylindrical." Okay, got it. I've done this a lot with logs straight from the tree.

You don't really need a jig. You just need a chalk line and patience. Snap a line and guide the log through the cut with your hands. A good outfeed table helps a lot. After the first cut, use your favorite resaw technique to continue breaking down the stock. A fence of some sort is useful.

If you're really uncomfortable doing this freehand, you can always set up a fence. Or you can use a handplane to plane a flat reference surface on the workpiece, and that will keep the wood a little more stable on the table.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
If the round is for turning bowls then maybe this will work.
Saw a flat on one side of the log. Bore a hole for a nail or dowel etc in the center of the round. Clamp a board to the table with the dowel set at the radius dimension.If the bowl is to be 12" in diameter then the dowel should be fixed at 6" from the blade and square to the blade.
One spot on the round has to be sawn to the radius so you have a place to start sawing.
I have only sawn rounds free hand but this may work,never tried it myself.
mike
Are you ripping these pieces lengthwise or cross-cutting them? How big are the pieces? Either way, some sort of V-block arrangement would keep the piece from rotating.
Phil S. said:

Are you ripping these pieces lengthwise or cross-cutting them? How big are the pieces? Either way, some sort of V-block arrangement would keep the piece from rotating.

I intend to cross cut the log after I used the lathe to take the bark off and making it round.

Maybe I should just say, "Looking for a "V" jig design". I know there are many clever woodworkers on this website and before I go and make up something, I thought I would ask you guys, what your V-jigs look like.
Okay - I thought that was what you were trying to do. I'd take a sheet of something thin, like 1/4" plywood so you don't lose too much clearance and fasten a strip of hardwood under it to run in the miter gauge slot on your bandsaw's table. Run it through the saw to give you an edge parallel to the slot. Rip a piece of 2X4 with a 45° miter the length of it, say a foot long depending on how big your bandsaw table is and the size of the stock your dealing with. Fasten the 2X4 pieces perpendicular to the ripped edge of the ply with the bevels facing each other and spaced so the round you're cross cutting doesn't rest on the plywood. For smaller stock you could probably just rip a V-notch the length of a piece of 2X stock and screw the runner straight to that without the ply. You should be able to hold the work piece with your hand as you feed it through the saw to keep it from turning on you sled. Hopefully that's clear enough to follow. If not give a shout and I can draw a sketch (I think ), but it won't be pretty.
Phil S. said:

Okay - I thought that was what you were trying to do. I'd take a sheet of something thin, like 1/4" plywood so you don't lose too much clearance and fasten a strip of hardwood under it to run in the miter gauge slot on your bandsaw's table. Run it through the saw to give you an edge parallel to the slot. Rip a piece of 2X4 with a 45° miter the length of it, say a foot long depending on how big your bandsaw table is and the size of the stock your dealing with. Fasten the 2X4 pieces perpendicular to the ripped edge of the ply with the bevels facing each other and spaced so the round you're cross cutting doesn't rest on the plywood. For smaller stock you could probably just rip a V-notch the length of a piece of 2X stock and screw the runner straight to that without the ply. You should be able to hold the work piece with your hand as you feed it through the saw to keep it from turning on you sled. Hopefully that's clear enough to follow. If not give a shout and I can draw a sketch (I think ), but it won't be pretty.

Thank you Phil, with your advice... I am off and running.
Ted Sokolowski shows a simple sled for what you want on his website.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.