Moles- how to get them to move out of my yard?
I have some moles moving into my yard. What methods have worked for you?

big dog digs them up when they come close to the surface. Cat sits by their hole and catches them when the stick their head up.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Note that they eat worms so killing grubs doesn't do it (a popular theory that it does...)

OSU turf research found spring traps work very well. They have also found the "gummy worms" work. I would not use those if there are young kids around...
We have pocket gophers which make large mounds and push up tunnels in the yard. So bad that I need a mower with suspension. We also have a few moles or voles or something that make small tunnels.

The only thing that works are traps and they are a pain to do. Course three of our cats worked together to catch one gopher one year. Saw him grab it out of the hole and went off running with it then started filming it... Also my neighbor got one with a bb gun once. Pocket gophers are bigger than you think and they will stick up out of a hole look straight at you and laugh...
Trapping is the only sure way. Albano and nomol traps seem to work the best for me.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

These traps right here.

I'll pack the run down then wait for the little bastage to move so I know exactly where its at. Re-pack and set trap.

Got one 2 weeks ago in less than 2 hours after setting the trap.

A .410 works good if you catch them moving.

Ed
We went to a seminar at a home show a few years ago. He said to not pack down the runs and to put multiple traps where there is an intersection. It must work, none since, and I didn't even put out a trap. I did have luck years ago using the "poison gummies" placed carefully in the hole with gloved hands the day before vacation.
JosephP said:

Note that they eat worms so killing grubs doesn't do it (a popular theory that it does...)

OSU turf research found spring traps work very well. They have also found the "gummy worms" work. I would not use those if there are young kids around...

That depends on you worm to grub ratio. You are correct they eat worms and grubs, but they prefer worms. I have have very few of the brown patches that indicate grubs, but I have a ton of worms. I don't even bother with the grub killer, but am trying the mole-away castor based scram spreads. Still waiting to see how it works.

Any animals I should try to attract to my yard to eat them? I recently saw plans for owl boxes. I wonder if owls would work?
when I flood water, I've seen them come scampering out of their holes. Some times my dogs will see them and catch them, other times they get away because I don't have a gun handy.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Maybe you can provide the owls with little shovels.

There really isn't much of a reason for a mole to go to the surface, unless the tunnels suddenly flood, etc. There are predators up there! You're going to have to go down after them.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy