Odd 2 jaw chuck
I picked this up this weird chuck Saturday. The jaws are able to pivot slightly. It fits a Delta lathe, 1" x 8 thread. For reference, the wood blank is 3/4 x 6". Anybody got any info on it?

Could a spur/point fit in the steel part between the jaws? That would make it less likely to wobble.

I'm wondering if it was a holder more than a jaw -- keep it steady while carving, routing, etc.

cool looking device anyway you look at it
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Might be a product made for a production lathe, wood or metal. Do the jaws close easily enough that they could have fit on a machine feeding a blank from the opposite end?
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
If the jaws move in and out together, then it could be for drilling pen blanks.

If they move independently, then it could be for eccentric turning.

Either way, there would have been some sort of insert for the center.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
It's hard to say what the intended use was for this.

The jaws are tight, but still move with no problem. It's self centering, one square drive moves both jaws.

I think there was a center point in there originally. There's a tapped hole for a set screw to hold it.