A few of my boxes (pics)
Between big projects I like to make boxes. They are not the works of art that I have seen others produce but I find it relaxing and the tight tolerances keep my woodworking skills sharp:

" />

" />

" /> " />

" />

" />
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
Very well done, beautiful work.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I make boxes for the same reasons you do Jim. Practicing tight tolerances can only be good.

I presume those intricate designs are shop sawn veneers because solid wood could blow those mitered frames, right? Either way the craftsmanship looks top notch from here.

Keep on making them and don't forget to tweak proportions regularly.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Solid, not veneer Tom! So far I haven't had any problems, maybe because all the wood in them has been dried in the same place for years. Your point is well taken however. I learned it the hard way with one of my first pieces--a coffee table with fixed (so I thought) breadboard ends. It may also help that the pieces are so small. Most of the wood in them was given to me by a former turner which switched to photography. Some really exotic pieces in there: zebra wood, canary wood, thorn knob, and so on.

Papa Jim
very nice
Very nice!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Very nice Jim, what method do you use to cut the d/t sockets
I built a 45/45/90 jig out of 3/4" stock about as wide as the boxes are high. I just use quick grips to clamp the box to the jig, adjust the fence on my router table and run them through a 1/2" d/t bit. Then I use the same set up to create the d/t spline. I have also just used the t/s to make straight splines. Finger joints also make an interesting corner treatment. I haven't tried it yet but I also built a jig that will allow me to run the boxes through the t/s at an angle. I will use a thin kerf blade and hopefully the splines will look like the box corners are stitched together. I also want to try "cats eyes" splines. All part of the fun!
thanks Jim
mark
I like the wood grain swirl top one.