Pocket Hole Screws for Scarf Joint?
I need to put together some long runs of 3/4" baseboard. I was wondering if anyone has ever used pocket hole screws to keep a scarf joint tight?
Jason

Never needed to use anything but 16 gauge nails on pine baseboard scarf joints.

Trick: If the wood is light colored and the final color is dark, stain the open ends of the trim before installing. That makes the scark disappear even more.

Another trick(if new at scarf joints): Situate the joint in the room so the closed half is facing away---the eye looks past the joint instead of into it.

Oh, heck, one more. Cope cut the inside corners. Easier to do and easier to get the correct length.
Thanks for the tips. I've never done a scarf joint before so I appreciate the insight, especially about facing the joint away from the main view.
Jason

Jason28 said:

Thanks for the tips. I've never done a scarf joint before so I appreciate the insight, especially about facing the joint away from the main view.

Do not use a scarf joint anymore.A simple butt with biscuits and two pinch dogs to pull them together.The pinch dogs are driven on the back,the joint face lays on a piece of paper.paper sands off quickly.
If the base is stained I turn the base over after an hour.The glue is rubbery and comes off with a sharp chisel or a card scraper.
I generally glued the long runs first.I have 2 dozen pinch dogs,if I ran short I screwed a plywood cleat between dogs and removed the dogs to use again.If the joints were glued up for 2 or more hours I removed the pinch dogs and nailed the base.

mike
Ill second that great tips, thanks