Cabinet saw design idea
Hi all. I don't post much but lurk continually. I had an idea and wanted to know your thoughts.

Cab saw with a rotating double arbor. One for the regular saw blade and the other for a dado blade. Put on the frued dial a dado and you'd be all set.

Seems like it could be done by someone.

Feel free to steal this idea if you're an engineer! I want one!
Two Bladed Table Saws on OWWM

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

As noted, there are several vintage saws with this concept and hopefully, some day, I'll own one. Typically, these take larger than 10" blades too, which make blades more expensive. Usually set up with a ripping and a crosscut blade.

However, there are downsides. The existing ones do not tilt the arbor. Tilting the arbor would be an engineering nightmare.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Frank,
One of the shops I worked in had an old Oliver that had two arbors. It actually had two motors also. The saw was a beast and quite a chunk of steel. The big drawback was you gave up depth of cut due to the rotation. The saw took 14"" blades but had the same depth of cut as a standard 10" cabinet saw.
Ah man! Every time I have an idea it's already been done. I had an idea a few years back for an image reversed mirror. Because when you look at yourself in a mirror you are seeing yourself exactly opposite of how you actually look; I just thought people would dig the actual image of how you look to people rather than a transposed image.

I looked it up and it's already for sale...

Thanks for the heads up guys.
Mr_Mike said:

However, there are downsides. The existing ones do not tilt the arbor. Tilting the arbor would be an engineering nightmare.

I don't know about all of the dual arbor saws, but many of the old Olivers were tilting arbor. And I would suspect that many other brands were also.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/det...px?id=1326
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
This is pretty similar to Bosch's great idea about stopping a saw blade. LOL.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

gregr said:

[blockquote]Mr_Mike said:

I don't know about all of the dual arbor saws, but many of the old Olivers were tilting arbor.

[/blockquote]

I stand corrected. I thought they were tilting table type saws.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry