Stanley #77 dowel machine gets a workout
I was cruising home from a donut run last week when I spied two porch rockers on the curb. This is when it pays to live CLOSE to a high roller neighborhood. I dumped the groceries and sped back for my prize. When I returned I met my neighbor who had TWO MORE!!! The ample cargo area of my Navigator would hold only two at a time so I had to make two trips. WooHoo!

There are three more in very good condition. This one had a back post failure at the rocker joint. This is a common chair problem that I have fixed for over 50 years on a variety of chairs. Now that I have upgraded my tools, I was able to use the EXACT tools necessary.

First I drilled out the post. Guess what--forstner bits do not like tough end grain. Two separate bits smoked so I turned to my handy spade bit. (C'mon--it IS a hand tool. I used my hands.) At least the forstners made a nice cup to start.

Here is an out of sequence shot the broken post. I trimmed it before drilling.

I found a scrap hickory board and figured it would make a good dowel. Then I ripped it to 3/4 square. The dowel machine choked. This hickory was really tough. That is when I reached for my #65 chamfer shave and broke down the corners a bit.

The six inch x 5/8 dowel cranked out quickly, but not without a little sweat. Did I mention how hard the hickory is?

I cut the dowel and stuck it in the hole. The spade bit wallowed out the hole a bit so I used a strip of tee shirt to tighten up the fit.

So now it is glued and waiting for trimming. I need about 1 inch to fit in the rocker.

Once I reattach the rocker, I will begin to patch-glue the back cane and remove the seat cane. My plan is to replace the seat with exterior plywood and top it with a nice outdoor seat cushion. The chairs will get cleaned and repainted. My daughter has a covered porch that is waiting for them.

Thank you neighbors, who throw out stuff. And thank you, Stanley, for all of your useful old tools.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Good to see this nice old tool put to use.

I wish I had one!
Very cool! I've never seen one of those in use before. Thanks! DavidC
DCarr10760 said:

Very cool! I've never seen one of those in use before. Thanks! DavidC

Mr neither, Thanks for Sharing !

Steve