Red Alder
Red Alder, is well, a common wood around here. I was just looking at about a dozen trees a neighbor is talking about cutting down.
It's generally an easy wood to come by as lots of fudge don't like to use it for firewood (too soft, too much ash)
Well, I just got the weekly e-mail from Cook Woods and they are having a sale on Red Alder
ah.. wow sale
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
OTOH, think about how much we pay for eastern walnut and cherry compared to thems on the other coast.

Alder does make for some nice spalted lumber. I picked up a very nice piece from NW Wood a few years back. It will be excellent for some segmented turning.....eventually.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
To me their stuff is WAY over priced. I do know they carry some great stuff but for guys like me and the amount of wood I go thru with the vets I just can not afford anything that nice.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Alder is ok but I prefer maple. I like alder for firewood though. Those are some crazy prices for half rotten alder.
Rodney
Rodneywt1180b said:

Alder is ok but I prefer maple. I like alder for firewood though. Those are some crazy prices for half rotten alder.
Rodney

I just did a 7 bowl set for friend (from his own trees), splated Red Alder has crazy tear out
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.