I'm moving + new shop.
I close on a new house in June and it comes with a 25x40 pole barn-style shop on an oversized slab + it's own HVAC and it's own electrical meter. Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked. (The pictures show the seller's mower stuff. That'll all be gone, of course.)

I'd like to get some input on finishing the inside. Ideally, I would like to build some kind of wall surface to make it look more finished/professional and provide easy mounting of cabinets and tool holders.

T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
Outstanding. Nice when things like that come together.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
My shop is similar but it's a metal building. Mine being metal means mounting anything is a pain.

Yours is basically the same method but using wood. That makes it easier to build onto. Personally I'd look at building walls up again dust the existing walls then cover them with plywood. That way you can mount anything anywhere.

Nice that it has ac but you will need to add some duct to it to get air to the other end of the building. I would have preferred the shop to be run off the house meter instead of its own meter to avoid the extra monthly meter fees and taxes.
cool beans!
check out the new mikie space thread and maybe you can get some ideas.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...amp;sb=5&o=
Install more furring strips, but use 2x6 PT boards. Don't need to be 16" OC, 24" is fine for cabinets/hanging stuff.

Plywood on the walls. Much better for mounting light duty shelving. Also makes the structure that much more rigid.
Yeah, plywood has been my thinking so far. But just adding furring strips would mean the plywood wouldn't be on the same plane as the posts. All of the finished walls would be *within* the posts, not even with them. As a result, I would be forced to position my cabinets and such within those spaces instead of being free to position anywhere along the walls. This would also prevent me from running conduit and electrical boxes in a contiguous run around the perimeter... Am I missing something?
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
You lucky dog. I teach disabled vets like me out of a 14x16 shop. Yours is 4x as big.

Congrats and hope you get it up and working soon
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
You can't flush the new furring strips with the posts? Or leave space for the ply to be flush with the posts?

Added, I was referring to horizontal furring strips.
K. L, McReynolds said:

You can't flush the new furring strips with the posts? Or leave space for the ply to be flush with the posts?

Added, I was referring to horizontal furring strips.

AH! I see what you mean now. Sure, that makes sense.
Going that approach, would you attach the horizontal members to the posts on the *face* of the posts? Or do a sort of horizontal stick-framing between the posts at flush?
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
Its an awesome feeling to have a nice shop! Congrats!