How is Poplar for turning?
I'm just getting into turning -- played with my dad's lathe some back in the '60's but now I'm getting serious.

Had some poplar scraps -- 5"x1-1/2" -- and tried face turning them.

Seemed to get a lot of tearout on end grain.

I think my tools are sharp but is such tearout a problem with my tools, my technique or is it just the way poplar is?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
It turns well enough for me. Your tools must be dull.
What kind of steel are they made from?

Mine are M2 HSS. I can turn poplar with no problems.
Poplar turns pretty good and can have some nice grain patten. I use it for anything I paint like Christmas ornaments and trying out something before I use the expensive wood.

It will tear out but I can clean most of it up with a skew chisel then sandpaper. For any turnings sharp tools are a must.
Don
Like all woods you will get tear out if you do not use the tools properly or using the bevel as you cut. I like using it for gluing to make other projects and I like using it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Tools are HSS - looks like time to get my sharpening stuff out and make sure tools are sharp.

Edit to add: big difference between "sorta sharp" and "much sharper"

BIL has a Tormek setup -- I may have to go pay him a visit

Thanks for the help

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
You better plan on visiting about every hour or so.

Twinn
Will post for food.
Poplar will turn, but you will get quite a bit of tear out. Sharp tools as others have mentioned is necessary. I would also recommend that you 'ride the bevel' as you are cutting. Take light cuts and a very acute angle.
theeviltwinn said:

You better plan on visiting about every hour or so.

Twinn

This^^^^^.
Yeah, you better invest in a Wolverine sharpening system unless you like spending 15 mins sharpening one tool.
Tormek has it's place, just not in my shop.
I got my old Craftsman benchtop 2" belt sander out with a 240 grit belt and things went much better after I sharpened the tools

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
Wild Turkey said:

I got my old Craftsman benchtop 2" belt sander out with a 240 grit belt and things went much better after I sharpened the tools

{Grimaces...}