DW735 chip exaust problem
I replaced the dust shroud because one of the "hold-down ears" broke off and chips were filling the area above the shroud and "clogging" the drive chain on the height adjustment. The problem still exist, so I'm turning to you guys for suggestions.

The blower seems to be working and my DC is working but after 20 minutes of planning you have to open up the planner and clear out at least a half gallon of chips. HELP!!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Is this a recent development? Did it used to get rid of the chips OK? Have you checked to make sure the DC ductwork is not (partially) clogged? If this is a new issue I am guessing you have some type problem with the DC. Blower or not, the DC should clear the machine of chips, right? Full disclosure, I have a 20" planner and have never used a 735 so my comments may be off base. Ken
Recent? I guess not. When the problem started, the original shroud had the broken ear so I assumed that was the problem. The new dust shroud did not fix the problem.

The blower runs and the DC is on. Maybe the impeller on the blower isn't turning. I will do more checking in the morning.

Surely I'm not the first to have this problem.
I've had this planer for years. It has strong blower. If you remove the discharge duct and turn the machine on you should have a strong discharge of air from the machine. If not something is very wrong with the blower; perhaps it is plugged up with waste. This bower is directly mounted on the motor driveshaft. The motor has a shaft extending from each end of the motor so if the planer removes material from the wood, the blower is turning unless the shaft is broken on the fan end (very unlikely) or the fan is loose on the shaft.

Has the planer been run without the dust collection system being on? I would think that the fan could get clogged in that case. I have occasionally planned wood while forgetting to turn on the dust collection system or opening the dust gate. When I do this shavings usually start coming out the front of the machine.

Hope this helps.
I had a similar problem with my Delta lunchbox planer. I discovered the seal between the exhaust duct and the planer wasn't quite perfect. I literally put duct tape over the joint and it now works like a champ. It doesn't take much of a leak to affect chip extraction.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
back when i had the dw735, i had a large splinter of wood block the impeller, and the blade stopped spinning. luckily the set screw or whatnot was loose on the shaft, so it wasn't damaged. once i cleared it out and resecured things, it was back to blwing very hard.
My Day Job
well, bye.
The blower works great, surprisingly so. I turned on the planner with the "hood" off and depressed the safety switch. Apparently there is a poor fit of the dust shroud and the blower...dust was circulating rapidly near the connection of the two.

Since I bought the replacement shroud from the DeWalt repair shop I will take the whole thing to see if they can figure it out.

Still looking for suggestions.

Thank you for the input so far.
Happened to me today, but in my case I was planning 1/4 sawn oak, and it just got clogged
I had the same problem. The way I fixed it was to get anew 15" Grizzly
I've never had a problem. I do not use a DC with it. The blower has enough power to push the chips into a garbage can with a DC filter bag strapped over the top. The garbage can is easier to empty as it usually happens more often.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.